Salary Range: $80,000 - $137,739; Starting Salary Negotiable
The City of Colonial Heights is seeking a highly professional Director of Public Works/City Engineer to oversee and direct the Public Works Department for the City.
- Plans and directs the activities of the Engineering Division.
- Plans and directs the construction, operation and maintenance for all streets and roadways; oversees the fleet maintenance division, and potential to oversee the activities of building maintenance.
- Plans and directs the construction, operation and maintenance of the water distribution system and the wastewater collection system.
- Proposes and implements capital improvement projects.
- Ensures compliance with all state, federal and local regulations, laws, and rules.
- Reviews, advises, and approves private development projects.
- Develops, administers, and monitors contracts with consultants.
- Advises and consults on the capital improvement project program.
- Provides technical assistance to other city departments.
- Reviews solid waste contracts for compliance.
- Develops and administers the departmental budget.
- Develops and proposes policies and procedures.
- Addresses public and professional inquiries and resolves conflicts.
- Inspects completed contractual work.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position, which reports to the City Manager, plans, organizes, and directs the staff and service vendors and the functions of the Engineering, Streets, Utilities and Fleet Maintenance divisions of the Public Works Department.
Education & Experience
- A Bachelor's Degree and over ten years directly related professional and supervisory experience or
- A Master's Degree and over five years directly related professional and supervisory experience or
- any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must be a Registered Professional Engineer (PE) in Virginia or must obtain a PE certification within a reasonable period of time after initial employment.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The work requires some physical exertion such as long periods of standing; walking over rough or difficult surfaces; recurring stooping, climbing or walking; recurring lifting of moderately heavy items weighing less than 25 pounds and may require occasional lifting of objects weighing in excess of 25 pounds. The work may require specific, but common physical characteristics and abilities such as mobility and dexterity.
The work involves moderate risks or discomforts which require special safety precautions. The employee may be required to use protective clothing or equipment such as masks, coats, boots, goggles, gloves, or shield.
Visit the City's website at www.colonialheightsva.gov to apply online. A City of Colonial Heights employment application must be submitted online by 5:00 p.m. (EST) on March 23, 2020.