Under the direction of the Maintenance and Operations Manager, this position is responsible for supervising the stormwater maintenance and compliance staff and providing oversight of maintenance and operation of the stormwater system, stormwater inspections, asset management and development, and implementation/coordination of the City's Stormwater Management Program (SWMP) in accordance with its National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Municipal Stormwater Permit. Supervise staff as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in environmental science or a related field.
- Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in stormwater management, including at least two (2) years in a supervisory capacity.
- A combination of education, training and experience that provides the candidate with the knowledge skills and abilities to perform the job will be considered.
- NPDES Municipal Stormwater Permit requirements.
- Federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding stormwater, surface water and water quality.
- Materials, methods, procedures and techniques used in the construction, maintenance and repair of Public Works facilities.
- Water quality monitoring methods, procedures.
- Operations, organization, policies and objectives of stormwater management, code enforcement, maintenance and inspection.
- Technical and advanced knowledge of hydrology and hydraulics.
- Principles and practices of administration, supervision, training, workload planning and staffing.
- Budget preparation and control.
- City organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Rules and regulations relating to Public Works projects and activities.
- Modern techniques and standards of storm drainage, streets and building maintenance.
- Federal and State safety, environmental and operational codes, laws and regulations governing the performance of the maintenance functions.
- Applicable building codes, ordinances, fire regulations and safety precautions.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Work place hazards and required safety precautions.
- Safe and proper use of hand tools and power equipment used in Public Works maintenance.
- Effective methods of organizing and utilizing data, equipment, staff and resources.
- Interpreting and applying Federal, State and local policies, laws and regulations.
- Computer operation including engineering software.
- Effective use of grammar, vocabulary and spelling.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to influence positive behavior change.
- Planning, scheduling and coordinating the construction, maintenance and repair of City streets, storm drainage systems, grounds and buildings and facilities.
- Supervising and evaluating the performance of assigned staff.
- Contracting and administering maintenance and construction projects.
- Reading, interpreting, applying and explaining rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Inspecting streets and storm drainage systems for maintenance and repair needs and safety and health hazards.
- Communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
- Operate a desktop computer to maintain records and generate reports.
- Estimating materials and supply needs.
- Ordering parts and supplies according to established guidelines.
- Working from blueprints, shop drawings and sketches.
- Maintaining accurate records and preparing operational and/or maintenance reports.
- Manage complex projects and multiple deadlines.
Licenses and Other Requirements
HOW TO APPLY:
Individuals interested in this position are encouraged to complete the following:
- an online application
- respond to the supplemental questions
- submit a resume
- submit a cover letter addressing how you meet or exceed the required education and experience
The final candidate must pass a successful background investigation.