Request application: HR Dept, 135 N. Animas St, Trinidad, CO 81082, or download from website, www.trinidad.co.gov, and submit to email@example.com
Salary: $83,844 - $90,625
This position, under the general direction of the City Manager, performs administrative and supervisory duties and is responsible for the planning, organizing, staffing, directing and coordinating of all departmental activities involved with Public Works, Landfill, Fleet Maintenance, Building Inspection, and Planning. Additionally, as Assistant City Manager, this position will work with the City Manager, City Council and Department Heads on a wide range of City-related issues, participate in the development of long-range plans and the annual budget, provide advice, field complaints and assist with the general administration of the City. This employee should possess excellent supervisory, communication, organizational and mechanical skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. The City of Trinidad retains the right to modify or change the essential duties and additional functions of the job at any time without notice. Examples of duties are not intended to be all- inclusive or restrictive.)
• Provide support directly to the City Manager by serving as a liaison on major projects; expedites resolution of certain matters in the City Manager’s Office and providing special research and support to the City Manager.
• Manages oversight of the planning, organizing and staffing of the Public Works, Landfill, Fleet Maintenance, Building Inspection and Planning operations.
• Defines and monitors performance, productivity, and compliance of subordinates with departmental mission, goals, objectives, policies, and procedures to ensure all work meets the required expectations.
• Supervises, directs, and evaluates staff, handling employee concerns and problems, assigning work, and recommending disciplinary and other personnel actions.
• Studies and standardizes department policies and procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
• Participates in the City Manager’s strategic and operational planning efforts; participates in Department Head team with other department leaders of the City; assists other departments as the need arises and time allows.
• Responds to requests and reviews information, complaints and proposals from the general public regarding traffic and transportation issues, landfill issues, planning and zoning issues, building inspection issues.
• Evaluates public works needs and formulates short and long-range plans to meet needs in all areas of responsibility, including, without limitation, flood control, general maintenance, landfill operations, snow removal, street and bridge maintenance (inclusive of curbs, gutters, and sidewalks), traffic engineering, and other public works projects and programs.
• Reviews, prepares and administers annual department budgets.
• Oversees the preparation of engineering plans and specifications, bidding, competency of contractors and vendors, and the selection criteria for public contracts.
• Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
• Bachelor’s degree from a college or university and one to five years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in civil engineering, engineering, construction management, or public works. Experience in supervisory or management.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
• Bachelor’s degree from a college or university and six to ten years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience