Mesa Water District (Mesa Water®) is excited to announce that it is now accepting applications for a Principal Engineer. The Principal Engineer is in charge of administering the program management of Mesa Water's Capital Improvement Program Renewal projects. This position conceptualizes, develops, designs and implements all phases of difficult design and engineering projects, as well as provides complex management support to the Assistant General Manager, and direct supervision to Senior Engineers.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Experience designing pipelines, wells, and pump stations for potable water systems.
- Experience creating engineering plans and specifications.
- Engineering project management experience at a water agency from design through construction.
- Experience managing day-to-day activities of large-scale Capital Improvement Programs.
Only online applications with completed supplemental questions, and resume/CV attached will be accepted. The deadline to apply is occurring on Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 11:59 PM.
About Our District
Mesa Water is a retail water agency that provides approximately 16,000 acre-feet per year (AFY) of domestic water and approximately 1,100 AFY of recycled water to approximately 110,000 customers in an 18-square mile area covering the City of Costa Mesa, parts of Newport Beach, unincorporated sections of Orange County and the John Wayne Airport. Mesa Water uses 100% groundwater supplies to meet its customers' demands with 317 miles of pipeline, seven domestic groundwater wells, three reservoirs, five imported back-up water supply connections, and an advanced membrane treatment facility. Mesa Water is an AAA-rated special district that is rated as Orange County's most efficient water agency. For more information, please visit our website, Mesawater.org.
This is an experienced exempt, at-will professional position. The incumbent shall possess a working knowledge and experience in the planning, organizing, directing and reviewing the work of staff engaged in the operations of a municipal water system, oversee the design and construction of capital facilities, management and scheduling of maintenance activities, and perform project management activities for a variety of projects and programs. The incumbent is expected to use initiative and independent judgment in negotiating, prioritizing project activities, exercising cost and budget controls, and in ensuring the coordination, quantity and quality of work performed in accordance with project goals. This position requires specialized knowledge, abilities, and skills and the incumbent typically exercises independent judgment in the performance of assigned duties.
MINIMUM & DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering or closely related field. Master's degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, business administration, or public administration preferred.
Seven years of increasingly responsible professional water utility engineering experience, including five years of project management experience, and experience with public sector projects is required. Three years at a supervisory level is preferred.
License or Certificate:
- Possession of a valid California Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineer.
- Possession of an appropriate, valid driver's license with satisfactory driving record.
- Supervises, assigns, and monitors the work of assigned staff members; provides clear, concise, and consistent direction; maintains a positive and productive work environment; as assigned, evaluates work performance according to District standards and recommends and implements appropriate corrective actions as necessary.
- Supervises, oversees, and participates in complex construction project administration; and ensures compliance with design specifications, codes, and district and other regulatory standards; develops, reviews and approves projects schedules and budget.
- Prepares and administers assigned contracts; participates in the development of requests for proposals; conducts pre-bid conferences to discuss District requirements; reviews bids/proposals and recommends bid awards; monitors and coordinates construction and professional services contracts; reviews amendments and issues and approves change orders; oversees submittals, requests for information and approves payment requests.
- Responsible for providing management and tracking of Capital Improvement Program Renewal (CIPR) performance throughout the program and recommending adjustments to project scopes, sequencing, scheduling, and coordination issues.
- Coordinates environmentally sensitive District projects with requirements of a variety of regulatory agencies; prepares and develops plans and permit applications; ensures projects are in compliance with regulatory requirements; prepares progress reports as necessary.
- Implements project goals and objectives through project administration, developing project cost sheets, monitoring and verifying progress milestones, performing independent cost estimates and making recommendations on project items.
- Reviews complex plans and specifications for a variety of capital improvement projects; consults with other departments, contractors and consultants.
- Oversees the day-to-day Engineering processes, projects, compliance, and administration.
- Tracks water use; participates in water system planning and supply forecasting; coordinates water use programs with other agencies.
- Manages and assists in development of Mesa Water's CMMS program, scheduling, monitoring, and compliance tracking.
- Participates in water supply and distribution system planning, construction, and improvement projects as well as capital project management.
- Researches, analyzes, writes and presents a variety of technical reports; interprets technical reports for non-engineering personnel, Board members and others; prepares or directs preparation of contracts.
- Provides staff assistance to the Assistant General Manager; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Assist the Assistant General Manager with special projects.
- Directs and supervises new installations and changes to existing treatment and production facilities as well as SCADA system.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquires and complaints.
- Develops, prepares, and monitors project budgets, submits budget justifications, and monitors and controls expenditures.
- Assists and participates in the development and administration of the department budget; participates in overall District budget development and capital improvement planning and preparation.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of engineering; incorporates new developments as appropriate.
- Performs related duties as required.