The purpose of this position is to support engineering staff in the preparation of plans and specifications on capital water system projects. Review development design projects to ensure consistency with City standards and codes and coordinate plan modification with developers and engineers.
- Research utility requirements for new developments and existing services; review utility plans from consultants and engineers to ensure consistency with City standards. Communicate required plan modifications with consultants and developers.
- Create designs, drawings, specifications and bid documents for various water distribution capital projects.
- Maintain water department file management system. Develop and maintain filing procedures for all historical documents as well as new development and capital plans, specifications and related documents. Assist other City departments in locating records.
- Participate in the preparation of documents and related procedures relative to Public Works Capital Improvement Projects including public meeting information, plans and bid documents. Coordinate public works projects with applicable city, state and federal officials and other relevant agencies and parties.
- Collect field data, verify conditions, note potential or developing problems, make recommendations and carry out other duties related to capital and private development design and construction projects. Drive a City vehicle in a safe and appropriate manner between work sites.
- Respond to customer and public inquiries and complaints; explain and interpret codes, policies, standards, fees, and procedures to members of the public, contractors, engineers, architects and other public or utility organization employees to resolve problems, improve their understanding of City programs, and to ensure adherence to procedures in complex technical matters.
- Review capital projects from other departments or agencies including overlays, roadway construction, freeways, bridges, sewer, storm projects. Gather information and evaluate conflicts with existing water infrastructure.
- Provide support to department engineers on special requests (i.e. spreadsheet development, map development).
- Research water department related easements, as-builts, surveys and infrastructure for requesting City departments and external customers.
- Field verify and approve all water department as-builts
- Run budget reports and update department capital project schedules
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experience and Education:
- Two (2) years of increasingly technical engineering experience is required in utility engineering or related discipline. One (1) year of AutoCAD work including pipe networks .
- Equivalent to an Associate's Degree from an accredited college with major course work in engineering or a related field.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Must apply on-line at this link: https://cityofvancouver.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/COV
This is a full-time, regular, non-exempt position covered by the provisions of an agreement between the City and the OPEIU union. The schedule for this position is M-F, 8am to 5pm.