Denver's Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI), through its employees, enhances the quality of life in Denver by efficiently delivering effective, high quality, safe and equitable public infrastructure and services, including transportation planning, design and construction; major projects, maintenance of streets, bridges and storm and sanitary sewers; residential trash, recycling and compost collection; and oversight and regulation of use of the public right-of-way including on-street parking. We employ a culture of safety throughout the department to strengthen workplace health and organizational performance. For more information, please visit www.denvergov.org/DOTI.
Right-of-Way Services (ROWS) regulates activities associated with private development and use of the City's Right-of-Way. It develops plans for regulatory compliance for mobility and construction permitting, project inspections, and land surveys that facilitate safe access for both vehicular traffic and pedestrians.
The ROWS section of DOTI is seeking a qualified individual to fulfill an Engineer - Limited position within our Engineering and Regulatory (ER) engineering team. This position is funded through December, 2022, and will perform a wide range of comprehensive, strategic mobility and collaborative review for proposed infrastructure in the public Rights of Way (ROW). This position will also support Regulatory and Plan review functions of our active team across a wide variety projects in the ROW.
The growing services offered by our ER team will include evaluation of Capital and Utility Projects against City rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, while promoting excellent coordination between a multitude of projects and stakeholders. Our ER team is regularly called upon to solve unique and nonstandard situations and is seeking individuals who thrive in a problem-solving environment and excel with collaboration and attention to detail. Work assigned to this position will be primarily applying best practices of safe mobility, utility and infrastructure engineering and planning.
In this Engineer role for the ROWS ER team, you will expect to:
Perform technical plan review, conflict resolution, and planning-level collaboration between the Capital Project Management team (applicant), internal (Public Works Mobility, Dept. of Parks and Recreation, etc.), and external (CDOT, RTD, etc.) agencies for compliance and deconfliction of proposed work in the public ROW
- Apply City and Public Works rules, standards and policies in the strategic review of engineering plans, specifications and technical reports. Performs calculations to check applications and drawings for code and/or standards compliance.
- Demonstrate skill in applying a common sense, collaborative approach to resolving complex or technical problems. Regularly simplify issues with clearly written summaries.
- Maintain information database for the agency related to plan review, comment, and permit tracking
- Monitor the review process and keeps interested parties advised as to the various stages of review
- Learn and apply Mapping & City Cartography applications, including ArcGIS 10.0 or later
- Review, maintain and enhance GIS map data collected from applicant(s)
- Regularly meet with applicant, internal project managers, contract personnel, other City staff, and the public to resolve plan review comments, provide process and technical guidance, and minimize regulatory and field conflicts
- Research and develop policies and procedures, rules and regulations, guidelines, inter-agency agreements, and standards and details to effectively represent requirements of the Public Works Department
- Use computerized programs for project tracking, drafting of graphical details, assembly of department metrics, issuance of permits, and/ or to support other department functions
- Perform field reviews and occasionally review site construction as appropriate to assure compliance with approved plans and regulations
- Be prepared to express ideas and creativity while being part of an evolving and dynamic team with exposure across many City interests
- Demonstrate flexibility in decision making to address a variety of case-by-case scenarios
While the full pay range of this Job Classification is $73,157.00/year - $117,051.00/year, our target hiring salary for this position is between $73,157.00/year - $95,104.00/year, depending on education, experience and qualifications.
A typical type of project reviewed by ER is initiated either by a Public or Private entity for construction in the public Right of Way (ROW). The ideal candidate(s) will have experience in general principles and practices of Transportation and Utility engineering and construction. Strategic plan review shall apply these principles against a comprehensive knowledge gained from overlays of infrastructure mapping available in Geographic Information Systems (GIS). The selected candidate will apply deconfliction techniques for proposed infrastructure, and collaborate with team, department staff, and various stakeholders to issue guidance and approvals.
This position involves contact with the public and internal/ external agency staff, and excellent customer service skills are required. The successful candidate will thrive while working with people and must demonstrate flexibility and ease in these interactions.
Our ideal candidate will have:
Educational and/or work experience in design, review and/or inspection of transportation/roadway and/or utility plans
- MS Outlook, Excel, database, AutoCAD or other technology solutions strongly desired
- Multi-modal transportation, roadway design, standard details and specifications including preparation of associated reports a plus
- Technical writing, development of design drawings and specifications a plus
- Geographic Information System (GIS)
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering.
- Experience: Four (4) years experience as an entry level Engineer. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements.
- License/Certifications: Valid Driver's License at the time of application. Requires registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by the Colorado State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers at the time of application. Or requires registration as an Architect by the Colorado State Board of Registration at the time of application.Registration in another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement, provided that the applicant has Colorado registration at completion of probation. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.