This is professional and administrative work managing and providing direction in the operation and maintenance of the County Public Works system. Work involves the responsibility for planning, directing organizing and coordinating activities through subordinate supervisors, the maintenance, repair and minor construction of the County transportation system, drainage maintenance and management, fleet management and maintenance, roadside upkeep, mosquito control and construction projects. Work is performed under the direction of the County Administrator/Deputy County Administrator and is reviewed through conferences, reports and observation of program effectiveness.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties or responsibilities does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Leads and prioritizes the efforts of the Department workforce through organization subordinate supervisors.
- Manages full cycle staffing; i.e. hiring, performance management, promotions.
- Establishes and monitors automated maintenance work programs to include work requests, labor and material reporting, and equipment utilization.
- Establishes suitable training programs for subordinate personnel.
- Coordinates work activities and programs of each sector of the Public Works Department with other County work programs and projects.
- Develops reports and uses historical data to analyze trends to forecast future work requirements.
- Establishes a prioritized work request system, determines the scope and priority of work requests and when appropriate forwards such requests to other departments.
- Develops, maintains and effectively communicates necessary departmental policies and procedures and in alignment with County policy.
- Contacts Georgia Department of Transportation representatives when work effects State roads.
- Reviews plans, makes material take-offs and oversees the layout of construction projects.
- Oversees the ordering, acquisition and timely delivery and stockpiling of materials necessary to complete the departmental goals.
- Coordinates with municipalities in the county regarding transportation related issues.
- Identifies material and equipment requirements based on Georgia Department of Transportation standards and the latest industry developments.
- Develops annual budget requests and budget forecasts and monitors and manages financial expenditures.
- Manages and directs the safety and training programs for all divisions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic knowledge of engineering, construction; project management, operations and performance testing.
- Knowledge of all applicable policies, standards, and regulations pertaining to the specific duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Skill in assembling information and making written reports in a concise manner.
- Has through knowledge of all applicable laws, ordinances, policies, standards, regulations, and responsibilities of the job.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in written and oral communication.
- Knowledge and ability to operate various machinery and equipment
Education, Experience, and Certification Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related field required. Experience equivalent in lieu of degree may be considered.
- Professional Engineer license preferred.
- Extensive experience in county or municipal Public Works management; construction/management with increasing supervisory and administrative experience.