The City of Ann Arbor Department of Public Works seeks an Assistant Manager to support us in our mission to provide excellent municipal services to enhance the quality of life for all.
The ideal candidate will promote the intelligent use of resources while valuing an open environment that fosters fair, sensitive, and respectful treatment of all employees and the community served.
About the Role
In this role, you will support the Manager of Public Works through direct supervision and oversight of six areas within the Public Work Unit: (1) Forestry, (2) Solid Waste, (3) Street Maintenance, and Utilities Crews (4) Water Distribution, (5) Storm, and (6) Sanitary Systems.
This Assistant Manager provides operational direction and technical oversight in accordance with all unit policies, procedures and processes, and in setting goals and objectives. You will assist in addressing operational needs, manage multiple unit projects, and work to maintain positive customer relations.
The Assistant Manager:
- Takes a leadership role in providing direction to subordinates related to service delivery, customer service, staffing, inventory and equipment
- Provides for supervision, training, evaluation, discipline, and corrective action plans of subordinate employees
- Provides coordination with Public Works management team
- Analyzes and makes improvements to the effectiveness of multiple work areas with respect to technology, training, resources and safety practices
- Leverages technology to improve operations and customer service
- Ensures effective operation and compliance with all State and Federal Regulations
- Reviews usage and downtime maintenance costs
- Reviews and approves resource allocation and work schedules
- Acts as primary facilitator for supervisors in prioritizing and coordinating resources across the work areas within the unit
- Provides oversight and serves as the liaison between the meter shop and Customer Service Unit.
- Serves as the Unit’s primary contact with the Fleet Unit for all purchases and equipment
- Coordinates with Unit Manager and Engineer on water distribution and sanitary and stormwater collection system asset management program efforts. Ensures system maintenance is performed in accordance with asset management goals and asset management plans
- Evaluates and approves plans, specifications, contracts and equipment specifications as they affect operations
- Assists in budget preparation and the monitoring of resource allocations and expenditures. This includes analyzing operational procedures in an attempt to conserve funds and provide better service.
- Prepares requests for proposals and evaluations and assists with contractor selection from these proposals and ongoing management of projects.
- Performs other duties, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, General Management, or a related field.
- Experience in a public works setting.
- Experience in supervision, such as work crew scheduling, recordkeeping, performance evaluations, and resolution of personnel problems.
- Broad public works background with knowledge in 2 or more of the following: Forestry practices; street maintenance methods and materials (including road construction and repair methods); solid waste collection, processing and/or programming; city water distribution; sanitary and storm sewage systems.
- Experience with basic budgeting and financial practices, including procurement.
- Experience working in a union environment.
- Experience with GIS and software systems for asset management and/or fiscal control.
- Capable of directing field crews after hours, and willing to be on-call as required, or in the absence of a Supervisor.
- S-1 Water Distribution Operator License by the State of Michigan - preferred.