SUMMARY: Responsible for managing a division at the City of Carrollton. Responsible for planning, managing, and providing direction for division operations. Drafts and implements operational policies and procedures and manages division staff and resources. Work is performed with general direction, working from broad goals and policies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises staff, a program, function, or service, which may include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff are trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Assists in developing and maintaining short and long-term strategic planning processes and coordinates departmental efforts related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Participates in the development of services, programs, policies, and procedures in assigned area of responsibility.
- Coordinates department-wide initiatives for the enhancement and improvement of service and program delivery.
- Ensures compliance with applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, regulations, laws, and policies.
- Serves as a liaison with employees and external organizations; represents the City at a variety of meetings, public events, training sessions, on committees, and/or other related events.
- Participates in coordinating the exchange of information within the organization, with external agencies, and with the public.
- Prepares, reviews, interprets, and analyzes a variety of information, data, and reports and makes recommendations and presentations based on findings.
- Monitors and maintains department inventory and orders required supplies, materials, and equipment to ensure efficient operations.
- Assists in developing and administering the department budget and approves expenditures within established guidelines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
POSITION SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs managerial activities related to the repair, maintenance, and construction of City infrastructure regarding streets, drainage, and traffic operations.
- Performs managerial activities related to water quality/production, water distribution, meter repair services, wastewater collection, and waterline/concrete replacement centers.
- Supervisory responsibility over Division staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of supervisory principles;
- Knowledge of public administration principles;
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes;
- Knowledge of policy and procedure development practices;
- Knowledge of research methods;
- Knowledge of budgeting principles;
- Knowledge of managerial principles;
- Knowledge of applicable theories and principles related to area of assignment;
- Knowledge of public relations principles.
- Skilled in monitoring and evaluating subordinates;
- Skilled in delegating and prioritizing work;
- Skilled in preparing reports;
- Skilled in developing, evaluating, recommending, and implementing processes and procedures;
- Skilled in managing change and sensitive topics;
- Skilled in adapting to rapidly changing environments;
- Skilled in recognizing problems, identifying alternative solutions, and making appropriate recommendations;
- Skilled in building consensus;
- Skilled in preparing and giving presentations;
- Skilled in coordinating and executing multiple tasks;
- Skilled in conducting research;
- Skilled in analyzing processes and making recommendations for improvement;
- Skilled in prioritizing, organizing, and managing multiple simultaneous projects;
- Skilled in defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions;
- Skilled in reading, interpreting, applying, and explaining laws, codes, ordinances, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Skilled in preparing clear and concise reports, including oral, written, and audio/visual presentations;
- Skilled in maintaining sensitive and confidential information;
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing complex information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals;
- Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications;
- Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- AND Eight years of progressively responsible experience in the area of assignment
- Bachelor’s Degree in General Business Administration or a related field AND
- Four years of progressively responsible experience, including two years of supervisory experience.
- Bachelor's degree is preferred
- Texas Commision on Environmental Quality Class C Water Distribution of Surface Water Treatment License or higher class or ability to obtain within two years of appointment.
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Class III Wastewater Collection License or higher class or ability to obtain within two years of appointment.
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester License or ability to obtain within two years of appointment.
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Customer Service Inspection Licenses or ability to obtain within two years of appointment.
- Frequent reaching, talking, seeing, hearing, and manual dexterity.
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds.
- Work is typically performed in a standard office environment.
- Depending on area of assignment, may work in an outdoor environment, with potential exposure to adverse weather conditions.
- Depending on area of assignment, may occasionally be exposed to risk of electrical shock, vibration, fumes, and/or airborne particles.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must pass criminal history check.
- Must pass motor vehicle records check.
PAY RATE: $79,138 Salaried