The St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission (MetCom) is a quasi-governmental agency that provides water and sewer services for residents and businesses in St. Mary’s County, Maryland. MetCom has a customer base of over 17,000 and exceeds $20 million in annual revenues.
MetCom has an immediate opening for a Lab Supervisor. The Lab Supervisor Performs supervisory laboratory work at the Commission’s Marlay-Taylor Water Reclamation Facility. The Lab Supervisor initiates daily assignments, analyzes water, wastewater and bio-solids in accordance with standard methods and procedures; performs related laboratory duties; follows through on matters and uses independent judgment and training to take appropriate action to deal with issues; Provides results for assigned MetCom wastewater treatment plants for reporting and plant efficiency purposes; Develops and implements a comprehensive Laboratory Quality Control Program; Oversees and verifies the maintenance of all necessary logs, reports, and records on analytical results and quality control; Assists other departments during the research and plan development phases to ensure the effective operation of water and wastewater collection systems.
- Serves as Supervisor for all lab functions, directing and scheduling lab tests and quality control quality assurance procedures;
- Obtains and maintains all regulated laboratory certifications;
- Prepares chemical and biological reagents necessary for all laboratory analysis;
- Performs a variety of testing procedures on water, wastewater and bio-solids samples;
- Provides results for assigned MetCom water and wastewater treatment facilities for reporting and facility efficiency purposes;
- Communicates with Metropolitan Commission staff regarding laboratory results;
- Develops and implements a comprehensive Laboratory Quality Control Program
- Oversees and verifies the maintenance of all necessary logs, reports, and records on analytical results and quality control
- Ensures verification of equipment accuracy, reagent/media preparation water quality, blind sample analysis and duplicate analysis of samples;
- Prepares and updates standard operating procedures for the lab;
- Manages the performance of the personnel assigned to the lab; conducts daily checks of log books and check-off sheets; reviews and approves leave requests;
- Prepares and conducts training to all employees on new analytical equipment and procedures;
- Conducts evaluations of and proposes purchase of new laboratory equipment;
- Recommends purchases and procedures to ensure that the operating budget is not exceeded; prepares budget submissions and purchase requisitions;
- Conducts research; attends training to keep abreast with lab operations and technologies;
- Assists other department during the research and plan development phases to ensure the effective operation of water and wastewater collection systems;
- Provides input and feedback regarding the administration of laboratory service contracts;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission policies and procedures;
- Ability to act as a representative of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission to the public and to representatives of government agencies;
- Ability to effectively communicate with other staff members; ability to coordinate, advise, train and work with other professionals;
- Expert knowledge of relevant laboratory practices, regulations and established procedures for handling samples;
- Ability to perform assigned tests and report results accurately;
- Ability to accurately record and report data;
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software, and office machines;
- Follow strict deadlines and be highly organized
- Work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Read, interpret, and apply laws, rules, and regulations.
- Gather analyze and evaluate a variety of data
- Demonstrate capacity to frame complex situations and present options
- Provide guidance to people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training and experience
Education and Experience:
Four year degree in Chemistry or Biology or microbiology; plus seven or more years of job related experience; Wastewater Operator certification preferred;
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, or handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus. Employee is required to exert light physical effort in the handling of light materials up to 30 pounds and/or continual standing or walking of 60% + of the time; climb stairs, bend reach, hold grasp and turn objects and use fingers to operate computer or typewriter keyboards. The work requires the ability to speak normally and to use normal or aided vision and hearing. Work may involve risks or discomforts which require special safety precautions, e.g. working around moving parts, or machines. Employees may be required to use protective gear such as masks, coats, boots, gloves, or goggles; may require working in adverse weather conditions.
In order to be considered for the position, all applicants must complete an online application which includes an updated resume via https://www.metcom.org Please click on the Human Resources tab then click on the “click here” under Employment News or click on “Open Position” to select the appropriate position and complete the application process.
The Metropolitan Commission is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic covered by law.