Salary: $10,180 - $12,372/month
The San Joaquin County Public Works Department is seeking a strong manager to fill the Engineer V position in its Solid Waste Division.
Reporting to the Integrated Waste Manager, the Engineer V heads the Solid Waste Division’s engineering section. This section is comprised of three staff members plus the Engineer V.
The position will plan and organize all engineering-related activities of the Solid Waste Division, including:
- Long-term planning for the development of County-owned Solid Waste facilities, including disposal, recycling and organics processing;
- Procuring consultants and managing construction contracts to develop additional landfill areas as needed in implementation of long-term facility development;
- Providing technical support to County’s Resident Engineer during construction of Solid Waste Division facilities;
- Administering on-call contracts as may be needed to supplement section staff;
- Regulatory compliance at County-owned solid waste facilities, and interaction with regulatory agencies to address issues;
- Developing the North County Sanitary Landfill fill plan, and supporting Operations staff in using GPS to guide refuse placement;
- Preparing budgets related to the above;
- Monitoring new legislation for new requirements as may apply to the County
An ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in successful interaction with relevant regulatory agencies and agencies’ staff, in particular with Regional Water Quality Control Boards, and especially with the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board;
- Experience with the design and construction of sanitary landfills in compliance with California and related Federal regulations;
- Understanding of technical issues related to solid waste facilities, including liner design, leachate collection, groundwater protection and landfill gas control;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work well with subordinate staff, peer professionals, and senior Department administrators;
- Demonstrated leadership skills, sound judgment and a positive attitude to effectively manage and build consensus among staff, and to motivate staff and support their professional development
Experience: Two years a Registered Civil Engineer in an organization performing public works, or equivalent private sector, solid waste activities relating to solid waste regulatory compliance, landfill construction, groundwater and landfill gas compliance issues**
Education: Graduation with a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or closely related field from a college/university accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology; and
Licenses and Certification: Possession of a valid certificate of registration as a Civil Engineer as issued by the California Board of Registration for Professional Engineers; and possession of a valid California driver’s license.
**Note: The above special recruitment requirements were approved by the Human Resources Director on 07/18/2019.
A completed application package, which must include an employment application and supplemental questionnaire, is to be submitted to the Human Resourced Division. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the required application materials.
Apply online: www.sjgov.org/department/hr
Or submit application to:
San Joaquin County Human Resources
44 N. San Joaquin Street, Ste. 330
Stockton, CA 95202
Final Filing Date: Open Until Filled