This is a non-union exempt position that provides direct supervision of Public Works Maintenance Department crews under the overall guidance and direction of the Public Works Superintendent. The Public Works Maintenance Supervisor will also assist the Public Works Superintendent in planning, developing, and managing operational and maintenance programs that will ensure the highest level and efficient means of service to the residents of Hastings.
Operations and maintenance of City utilities and infrastructure is a 24 hour per day responsibility. Accordingly, the Public Works Department assigns after-hours response duties to a Standby Duty operator. The Public Works Maintenance Supervisor is expected to be available after hours to assist the Standby Duty operator by providing direction, answering questions, contacting the public, or calling in other Public Works operators for additional support.
To view the full job description, please click here.
Examples of Duties
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervises, assigns duties and directs the daily performance of Public Works Maintenance Department crews.
- Provides timely and accurate information to maintenance crews.
- Directly responsible for organizing, developing, archiving and upkeep of infrastructure maintenance reports, including but not limited to patching operations, street light maintenance, traffic sign locations, age and maintenance, tree trimming, storm sewer maintenance, sanitary sewer maintenance, hydrant operation and flushing, water valve operation, and hydroelectric facility maintenance activities.
- Directly responsible for maintaining records and ensuring performance of manufacturer required regularly scheduled maintenance of public works vehicles and equipment; and water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer and hydroelectric plant pumps, motors, generators and control systems.
- With the approval of the Public Works Superintendent, initiates orders for parts, materials, and supplies.
- Makes recommendations to the Public Works Superintendent for replacement of equipment, infrastructure needs, and other maintenance information.
- Assists the Public Works Superintendent with development of short and long term goals, annual budgeting, and monitoring of budget and expenditures.
- Trains crewmembers in safety rules and keeps all required safety records. Takes prompt corrective action concerning potential safety hazards.
- Assists the Public Works Superintendent in establishing, maintaining and enforcing policies and procedures of the City. Assists in the development and interpretation of policies, rules, regulations and procedures for the department.
- Provides timely, accurate proactive information to the Public Works Superintendent regarding current and ongoing departmental issues.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local policies and procedures.
- Handles inquiries and complaints from residents, contractors, and others concerning public works maintenance activities in a timely manner to ensure effective service and maintenance of goodwill among resident of the City.
- Upon request of the Public Works Superintendent, makes recommendations relating to the hiring, transfer, suspension, promotion, discharge, assignments, reward, or discipline of employees.
- Responds to after-hours emergency calls and assigns personnel accordingly to ensure a quick response to such calls.
- Performs maintenance and labor work along with Public Works Maintenance crews if necessary.
- Conducts special projects as needed.
- Availability to provide a presence in responding to infrastructure or maintenance emergencies as necessary. In order to maintain availability to support operations staff during these events, the Maintenance Supervisor is expected to coordinate their schedule with the Superintendent to avoid concurrent planned absences and vacations.
- Regular attendance is required.
- Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as apparent or as delegated.
Criteria to Qualify for this position
- Five years progressively responsible experience in repair, maintenance, and construction work involving public works or similar infrastructure, construction operations, facilieis and equipment
- Minimum of two years of supervisory experience
- Possession of APWA-MN Chapter Public Works Certificate or ability to obtain within 3 years of appointment.
- Possession of a MN Class D water license and Class SD wastewater license and the requirement to attain a Class B water license and Class SB wastewater license within 5 years.
- Class B Commercial Drivers License with Minnesota driving privileges
- Experience with Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Successful completion of a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation.
- Five or more years of supervisory experience. Skilled in the day-to-day supervision, performance evaluation and training needs of employees.
- Three or more years’ experience with municipal water, sanitary sewer, and stormwater utility systems.
- Two-year post-secondary or higher-level degree.
- Budgeting experience in local government.
- Experience with use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or Asset Management Software packages.
Competencies Common to All City Positions:
· Develop, maintain a thorough working knowledge of, and comply with all departmental and applicable City policies and procedures
· Demonstration by personal example the spirit of service, excellence, and integrity expected from all staff.
· Develop respectful and cooperative working relationships with co-workers, including willing assistance to newer staff so job responsibilities can be performed with confidence as quickly as possible.
· Confer regularly with and keep immediate supervisor informed of all important matters which pertain to the applicable job functions and responsibilities.
· Represent the City of Hastings in a professional manner to the general public and outside contacts and constituencies.