Administers all policies, services and programs for the City of Venice Engineering Department.
All City of Venice employees are expected to demonstrate PRIDE in their jobs by being Productive, Responsible, Innovative, Dedicated and Ethical.
In addition, certain essential city services are required to be maintained in any civil emergency. Depending upon the type of emergency, any and all employees may be activated as essential employees in the event of an emergency.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Administers engineering operations for the City of Venice including planning, organizing and developing departmental programs.
- Manages the Construction Plan Review and Permitting Program for private development projects.
- Manages the Construction Inspection Program for both public and private projects to ensure compliance with applicable codes and City Standard Details.
- Responds to and resolves all inquiries and concerns regarding engineering, stormwater and construction project issues.
- Provides engineering and technical recommendations for planning and design of municipal projects. Prepares and/or reviews plans and specifications as required.
- Responsible for all aspects of assigned city engineering projects including contract administration, project design, permitting, procurement, project award, public outreach, construction supervision and project closeout.
- Modifies and updates changes to the City Standard Details according to departmental input, current regulations and sound engineering principles.
- Assists in the formulation, presentation and execution of the department’s budget, establishment of departmental priorities and allocation of resources.
- Makes recommendations to the City Engineer on departmental policies, procedures and personnel management.
- Responsible for staying current with all governing regulations and compliance requirements.
- Recommends hiring, transfer, promotion, discipline, termination and evaluation of employees.
- Carries out the duties and responsibilities of the City Engineer, as required.
Responsible for assisting the City Engineer in coordinating the day-to-day administration and operations pertaining to engineering projects. Responsible in work to the City Engineer.
Minimum Education and Training
A Bachelor Degree in the Engineering field with five (5) years of engineering experience. Three (3) years public engineering experience preferred. Must possess and maintain a Florida Professional Engineer (PE) license. Experience and demonstrated ability in supervision required.
Minimum Qualifications and Standards Required
Knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and standards relating to engineering. Ability to work independently of direct supervision and capable of sustaining regular and predictable attendance. Ability to make oral and written presentations of technical matters in a clear, concise and understandable manner to both technical and non-technical persons. Must be able to design and publish reports that clearly and accurately reflect pertinent information. Must have sufficient knowledge of municipal engineering and stormwater infrastructure to effectively supervise operations and personnel. Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions connected with this type of work. Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, department directors, elected officials, other government agencies and the general public. Possess a valid Florida Driver’s license (or valid out-of-state driver’s license), free of any serious violations. Out–of -state applicants have 30 days from start of employment to attain a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Requires a working knowledge of the current version of Microsoft Office Professional software suite including proficiency with Word and Excel. Must have a basic understanding of the current version of the Microsoft Windows operating system. Familiarity with Superion Software applications based on an iSeries system is preferred. Working knowledge of the current versions of Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer is also highly recommended. Experience with AutoCAD and Geographical Information System (GIS) preferred. Ability to learn specific computer applications used in the Engineering Department.
Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb, bend, stoop, and lift. Ability to work both indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather. Must be capable of functioning in a fast-paced, high-stress environment with multiple priorities and deadlines. Reasonable accommodation will be considered for individuals with physical disabilities.
Work is performed primarily in an office setting with some travel to various meeting sites. May be required to work outside in certain aspects of the job. Expected to be available for emergencies beyond regular operating hours if required.
It is understood that every incidental duty connected with operations enumerated in the job description is not always specifically described, and employees, at the discretion of the City, may be required to perform duties not within their job descriptions.
Grade 508 $68,252.15 - $112,616.20/annual
ACTUAL STARTING SALARY:
$68,252.15 - $90,434.18/annual
(This is an at-will position)
PLEASE NOTE: Any interested applicant must make written application online at www.venicegov.com or submit on paper to the Human Resources Department located at 401 W Venice Avenue in Venice. This position is open until filled.
The City of Venice is an Equal Opportunity Employer