Salary: $76,024.00 - $97,032.00 Annually
The City of Anaheim Public Works Department-Design Services Section is seeking a motivated and knowledgeable Assistant Engineer A. The position will perform para-professional and technical engineering work including preparation of plans and specifications, preparation of engineering cost estimates, contract administration, design review; provide customer service with internal and external clients; and provide technical staff assistance to higher level engineering staff.
The Public Works Design Services Section has an in house design team dedicated to the design and preparation of construction documents. The Assistant Engineer A will assist in the design of sewer, storm drain, and street improvement projects. It is highly desirable that the incumbent is knowledgeable and has used AutoCAD and Civil 3D software to assist in these projects.
This is the entry level class within the Civil Engineering series. This class is distinguished from the Associate Engineer by the performance of the more routine tasks and duties assigned to positions within the series. Since this class is typically used as a training class, employees may have only limited or some directly related work experience or have completed three years of course work in a board approved engineering curriculum.
The following functions are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed functions and/or may be required to perform additional or different functions from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Prepare preliminary and final plans, civil engineering design and layout including hydrology and hydraulic calculations, cost estimates, schedules and specifications for public works projects including street, sewer and storm drain improvements; supervise and assist in project planning, design and contract administration.
- Process utility annexation agreements; updates and revises permits and revises permit fees.
- Analyze field data pertaining to grades, alignments and topographical features; perform hydrology, hydraulic and other calculations.
- Coordinate public works activities with other City departments, divisions, sections and outside agencies.
- Participate in the selection of staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
- Review work of private engineers for compliance with City standards and practices; review work of outside plan check staff; review shop drawings submitted by construction contractors; determine engineering requirements for new developments; review and provide recommendations for processing change orders requested by contractors.
- Perform network analysis to stimulate field conditions; identify any areas in need of upgrade; prepare and maintain area system distribution network analysis model.
- Review and update engineering standard drawings, specifications and design criteria.
- Assist in conducting a variety of engineering and technical studies related to area of assignment.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Experience and Training Guidelines: Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities are as follows:
Experience: Some professional level experience in civil engineering. Competitive candidates will possess three (3) or more years of experience in a civil engineering field such as design or other related field.
Training/Education: Three (3) years of course work in a board-approved engineering curriculum (any curriculum approved by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering Technology (ABET)).
Knowledge of: Basic principles and practices of civil engineering and design; practices and terminology in surveying and construction standards; basic principles and practices of hydraulic engineering and hydrology; pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations; principles of mathematics as applied to engineering calculations; microcomputer software including spreadsheet and data base applications.
Ability to: Perform technical research; read and interpret technical literature, drawings, diagrams and schematics; apply basic traffic engineering and transportation practices to technical problems, present findings and make appropriate reports; use and operate computer systems and software; prepare civil engineering design computations; prepare engineering plans, specifications and estimates for street, sewer and storm drain projects and/or water utility projects; use and care for engineering and drafting instruments and equipment; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
License/Certification Required: Possession of a valid California Driver’s License by date of appointment.
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. The deadline for the first review of applications is on Thursday, July 7, 2022 at 5:00PM. Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Applicants that apply after the first review are not guaranteed to be considered for this recruitment. This recruitment may close at any time without notice after the first review date.
The selection process will consist of a minimum of skills examination and oral interview.
The eligibility list established from this recruitment may also be used to fill the current and/or additional vacancies throughout the City.
Candidates must be specific and complete in describing their qualifications for this position. Failure to state all pertinent information may lead to elimination from consideration. Stating "See Resume" is not an acceptable substitute for a completed application.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a reference / background check (to include a conviction record) and pass a post-offer pre-employment medical examination (which will include a drug/alcohol screening). The City of Anaheim utilizes E-Verify and new employees must provide documentation to establish both identity and work authorization.
Communication regarding your application and/or status will be sent to the email address listed on your application. Please check your email regularly throughout the recruitment process as you will not receive communications by any other method.
Equal Opportunity Employer