This position is exempt from Veterans Preference.
Under the administrative direction of the City Manager or Deputy City Manager, performs advanced professional level work in managing and directing the City's Engineering Department. Performs supervisory and professional level functions for the design and construction of the City capital improvement program projects? development and oversight of the City's capital improvement program for transportation, intersection & signalization, stormwater utility, and sidewalk & bikeways projects? review and construction plan approval of development projects? supervision of the operation of the Traffic Engineering Division including signs and signal maintenance? administration of the Stormwater Utility program including billing, compliance of permit requirements, capital expenditures, and implementing projects? and coordination of transportation, stormwater and utility activities with federal, state, county, and other municipal agencies.. Work is reviewed through observation, conferences, reports, and for results obtained. Performs other work as required.
Examples of Duties
- Plans, develops, schedules, and supervises the creation, design, permitting, bidding, construction and completion of the City's capital improvement program for transportation, intersection & signalization, stormwater utility, and sidewalk & bikeways projects.
- Manages the engineering design, bidding, construction and inspection of the City's capital improvement program projects for other departments.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates the inspection of City and developers' construction projects to ensure compliance with engineering plans and specifications and the City code.
- Supervises the Engineering Department staff including Traffic Engineering and Stormwater Utility. Plans, assigns, directs, provides guidance and evaluates the work of subordinates.
- Oversees the operation of the Traffic Engineering Division including signs and signal maintenance. Coordinates traffic operations and safety issues with Engineering staff.
- Administers the Stormwater Utility program billing, compliance of permit requirements, capital expenditures, and implementing projects.
- Supervises the construction plan review process for development projectsapproves plans for construction, and certifies city's acceptance of infrastructure improvements.
- Prepares agenda memos, reviews Engineering staff agenda memos, reviews and/or determines budgetary issues for agenda items, writes agenda item reports, and presents agenda items to City Council.
- Administers right-of-way use permitting, abandon and vacate requests, addressing, water authorization approvals, maintenance of traffic plans for special events, and transportation impact fee determinations.
- Maintains liaison with appropriate county, state, and federal agencies regarding joint projects and/or regulations.
- Provides professional advice and recommendations in resolving problems and improving municipal operations. Respond to City Council and resident questions about engineering related items. Meets with the public and developers to discuss the City's codes and regulations.
- Completion of a bachelor's degree program from an accredited Board of Engineering and Technology college or university with major course work in civil or environmental engineering (proof of degree must be uploaded to application).
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Florida or the ability to obtain licensure in Florida by endorsement within four months.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in civil engineering including five (5) years in a management role.