Minnehaha County is accepting applications for a Highway Superintendent to provide leadership to establish and achieve effective, strategic vision for the Highway Department. We are looking for an enthusiastic leader who is passionate about their work and committed to the successful development and operation of the Minnehaha County transportation system. Our team is comprised of 33 administrative, engineering, and maintenance professionals and operates on a $11-$17 million annual budget depending on projects. The successful candidate will lead the transition to a new facility currently being planned for the improvement of Highway operations and services.
The hiring range is $3,676.80 - $3,959.20 biweekly with a full earning potential of $5,326.40 biweekly. Appointment above the hiring range is dependent on qualifications and experience. We currently offer a GREAT summer schedule - 4 day work weeks with Fri/Sat/Sun off! This position has a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays, generous Paid Time Off program, extended sick leave, retirement plan through the South Dakota Retirement System, an optional supplemental retirement program, and health, dental, and life insurance.
The Highway Superintendent is an appointed position reporting to the County Commission pursuant to SDCL 31-11-1.
Interested individuals should complete the online application and attach a cover letter and resume.
All applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the date the position closes.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Lead the department in the planning, development, coordination, and implementation of the Highway Department's policies, procedures, goals, and objectives. Provide direction for the department through strategic short and long-term goal setting and planning. Direct the department's policies, procedures, and administration to ensure compliance with applicable ordinances and laws.
- Administer planning, design, construction, and maintenance programs for Minnehaha County highways, roads, and bridges. Develop and implement long range plans for highway and bridge construction and maintenance that reflects prioritized needs and funding options.
- Supervise and provide work direction for department of approximately 30 employees. Coordinate activities of the County highway divisions including administration, construction and maintenance, traffic control, and equipment maintenance.
- Review highway and bridge plans, locations, contracts, and cost estimates for technical and legal accuracy.
- Review bids and proposals and recommend acceptance to the County Commission.
- Prepare annual budget and monitor department expenditures by project on a continual basis.
- Develop department policies and procedures to ensure legal, cost effective, and productive supervision and program administration. Direct workers in preparation of reports to state and federal agencies. Utilize necessary resources for developing solutions to engineering issues and facilitating project administration.
Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, construction management, or related field plus five years of professional experience in civil engineering, cost accounting, project management, road construction management, or related area. Comparable combination of education and experience will be considered. Possession of a valid driver's license and must maintain a safe driving record with Minnehaha County. Must successfully complete pre-employment background process.
Broad knowledge of the standard practices of civil engineering and/or the construction industry as it applies to road and bridge construction and maintenance. Knowledge of progressive management practices and ability to successfully lead, motivate, and organize the work of others. Skill in utilizing software programs for developing solutions to engineering issues and facilitating project management. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to establish and maintain strong and effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public. Ability to maintain professional appearance and demeanor.
Previous supervisory and budget management experience. Working knowledge of South Dakota Codified Laws (SDCL) as it applies to counties.
Minnehaha County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran's status, genetic information, or any other protected group in accordance with state and federal law. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by contacting Human Resources at (605) 367-4337.