To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. I understand that this job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Job Title: Director, Public Works & Utilities
Department: Public Works
Pay Grade: 122
FLSA Status: Exempt
Last Updated: June 2022
Under direct supervision, this position plans, directs, and administers the day-to-day operations of the Public Works & Utilities Department. The Director performs complex professional and administrative work coordinating and supervising maintenance, construction, engineering, water works, and operations of the Town Public Works & Utilities Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Manages the construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of the Town’s infrastructure, to include coordination with contractors and vendors.
• Works with governmental agencies, ensuring compliance, permitting, and cooperation as required on various projects.
• Plans, develops, and implements proposals and programs to properly administer local funds, grant funds, and VDOT maintenance funds to maintain and expand services in accordance with the needs of the Town.
• Manages the daily administrative and technical operations of the department and the deployment of resources to projects in a fiscally responsible manner. This includes activities of the Town’s building maintenance, grounds, streets, sewer, water works, and engineering functions.
• Provides annual support for the development of a recommended budget for the Capital Improvements Program.
• Attends pre-construction meetings with contractors/developers to discuss projects.
• Conducts on-site inspections of projects under construction to ensure compliance.
• Participates in management teams and committees as appointed by the Town Manager
• Directs the overall leadership and oversight of the Public Works & Utilities department & Town Engineer. Provides Leadership, council, motivation, and constructive performance feedback to all assigned staff in support of the Town’s Vision.
• Promotes and ensures proper employee training per OSHA guidelines and compliance with Town’s adopted safety program and departmental safety procedures.
• Serves as essential personnel and must be available during emergency situations involving matters of the Public Works & Utilities Department; and
• Performs other assigned duties.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
• Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering, public administration, business administration, or related field; Master’s degree preferred; or equivalent training, education, and/or experience.
• Six (6) to nine (9) years of related progressive experience in a public works/utilities department is preferred, including four (4) or more years supervisory experience;
• Must be proficient in MS Office Software;
• Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Must possess strong organizational skills;
• Must possess a customer service focused attitude;
• Must possess a valid Virginia Drivers’ License;
• Must pass a Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen
• Or equivalent training, education, and/or experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of Isle of Wight County and the Town of Smithfield;
• Knowledge of the geography of the County and surrounding areas;
• Knowledge of the preparation and implementation of municipal budgets;
• Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures;
• Knowledge of MS Office applications, including Word and Excel;
• Skill in communicating and working effectively with a team;
• Skill in planning and organizing work;
• Skill in communicating effectively both orally and in writing;
• Skill in clarifying authority, responsibilities, and expectations;
• Skill in aligning team goals with those of the organization;
• Skill in empowering others to improve service delivery strategies; and
• Ability to complete assigned work within established deadlines in accordance with directives, policies, standards, and prescribed procedures;
• Ability to schedule flexible work periods outside the normal workday;
• Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines;
• Ability to work independently;
• Ability to meet regular attendance requirements;
• Ability to maintain the professional expertise required to perform the job effectively;
• Ability to make timely and sound decisions;
• Ability to adhere to all established safety standards and ensure such standards are not violated;
• Ability to operate a motor vehicle;
• Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with Town officials, fellow employees, and the general public.
This is a moderately sedentary role; typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight. This would require the ability to perform skilled coordinated movements, such as inspecting sites, driving a vehicle, and using a keyboard. The amount of weight to lift, push, or pull would not exceed fifty (50) pounds.
Tasks may risk exposure to adverse environmental conditions such as weather, traffic, dust, odors and noise.