The Public Works Department is recruiting for a Cross Connection Specialist. This is an excellent opportunity to grow your career with a great team.
Salary: $92,290.90 - $113,309.04 Annually
Under general supervision, this position leads, implements and administers the Backflow Preventer Testing Program and the Cross Connection Control Program in accordance with CCR Title 17 and Title 22 for the City of Milpitas.
The Cross Connection Specialist is a singular classification requiring specialized certifications. This position is distinguished from the Water Systems Operator and the Maintenance Worker III classifications in that the incumbent in this classification assists in implementation and administration of the City’s backflow prevention and cross-connection control program by inspecting water system installations to protect the public water supply from contamination; investigating, testing, and inspecting backflow devices for compliance with regulations; coordinating, scheduling, and conducting cross-connection surveys of the potable or recycled water systems; and performing related duties, as assigned.
Examples of Duties
Day to day duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Conducting cross-connection surveys and tests to identify potential cross-connections to the water system.
2. Monitoring the provision of backflow prevention at user connections.
3. Providing technical supervision over performing backflow prevention assembly installation, repair, inspection, and testing.
4. Inspecting potable and recycled water systems to determine the existence of cross-connections and recommending corrective actions as necessary.
5. Testing, installing, repairing, and maintaining backflow prevention assemblies.
6. Performing plan reviews to ensure proper water system connections. Identifying potential cross-connections and providing written comments.
7. Maintaining records of installations, locations, tests, and repairs of backflow prevention assemblies.
8. Establishing and maintaining backflow prevention assembly testing, repair, maintenance, and monitoring schedules.
For the full job description, which includes essential duties, knowledge and abilities, please click here.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school graduation or equivalent, supplemented by approved courses of instruction in the theory, laws, regulations, and techniques of backflow prevention and/or cross-connection control.
Three years of experience in water systems maintenance.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
• Possession and maintenance of a valid California Driver’s License is required.
• Possess and maintain a Backflow Prevention Assembly General Tester Certificate from the American Water Works Association.
• Possess and maintain a Cross-Connection Control Program Specialist Certificate from the American Water Works Association.
• Possess and maintain a Grade D2 Distribution Operator Certificate from the State Water Resources Control Board.
Possession and continued maintenance of a Grade D3 Distribution Operator Certificate from the State Water Resources Control Board.
***PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY TO OUR CAREER OPPURTUNITIES BY THE CLOSING DATE TO BE CONSIDERED.