Baltimore County, Maryland, seeks a dynamic and innovative professional to lead the Department of Public Works. The Director is responsible for the executive management of the department including developing and implement department wide strategic planning of all administrative and programmatic functions.
The Director of Public Works reports to the County Executive and/or senior staff designee(s).
Please attach your resume and copy of your transcript or degree(s) with this application.
NOTE: Interested candidates may also send a cover letter and resume, directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please state in the subject line, the title of the position for which you are applying.
Examples of Duties:
- The Director is responsible for the overall direction, effective operation, maintenance, department forecasting, planning and continuous improvement of all functions of the Department of Public Works which includes Transportation, Utilities, Solid Waste operations and infrastructure.
- Manages all public works activities; Evaluates, maintains, repairs and upgrades existing public works infrastructure; Serves as a member of the County's Senior Leadership Team and a member of the County's Retirement Board.
- Develops and maintains positive, productive working relationship with County leadership, elected officials and/or their offices, regional and state transportation agencies, business communities, citizens and key stakeholders.
- Recommends and assists with capital budget and a long-term capital improvement programs; In partnership with other department heads, assists with development of special projects; Assists with management of all consultants, vendors and contractors engaged by the Public Works Department activities and or functions.
- Responsible for emergency planning and is required to be on 24-hour call to address any emergency situation.
- Evaluates, designs and implements an organizational structure and departmental policies and procedures to effectively manage the Department and assure the implementation of its mission.
- Administers and manages all union collective bargaining agreements appropriate for DPW; Assists with resolving labor grievances and union disputes as it relates to DPW.
- Ensures operations comply with all applicable local, state and federal requirements; and ensures the delivery of a consistent and high-level of service to stakeholders; Actively solicits input from stakeholders and makes decisions on broad issues on policy and resolves complex problems.
- In partnership with the Office of Budget and Finance, develops and secures approval for the department's operating budget; Monitors and approves expenditures; Prepares, reviews, and executes specifications and bids for major expenditures and maintain contact with key stakeholders.
- Serves as the County's representative to various local, state, regional, and national committees, boards, and commissions related to the public infrastructure, in addition to serving as the contact person for state and federal agencies.
- Actively pursues, manages and is responsible for all department public outreach events.
- Considers issues of equity and sustainability in decision-making.
- Develops program goals, standards and systems to track, analyze and evaluate metrics related to the program areas with a goal of promoting equity, opportunity and inclusion;
- Performs other related duties as required by County Executive and or his designee. Takes appropriate actions to sustain and improve organizational performance, including recommending and implementing appropriate changes to priorities, policies and business processes.
- Essential Functions –Transportation:
Essential Functions –Utilities:
- Manages the planning, funding, developing, designing and implementing multi-modal transportation (vehicular, pedestrian and bicycle) projects and providing transit services; reviews proposed projects and assists in administering and monitoring capital projects and establishes priorities.
- Approves contracts, construction estimates, contract payments, and extra work authorizations; reviews the transportation aspects of development proposals, implements transportation demand management and marketing strategies.
- Undertakes executive level coordination with regional and state agencies and other county departments with regards to Transportation initiatives.
Essential Functions- Solid Waste Management:
- Undertakes executive level coordination with Baltimore City on regional water infrastructure planning, funding, maintenance, billing, and compliance with agreements.
- Oversees the planning, funding, development, design and implementation of capital water and sewer infrastructure projects.
- Manages the operation of the sewer system in the county.
- Undertakes executive level coordination with regional and state agencies with regard to the County's consent decree related to its sewer system.
- Oversees all solid waste operational activities and programs for the County and undertakes executive level coordination with regard to regional solid waste issues.
- Manages the residential collection of trash from County residents.
- Manages the disposal of trash through the county's transfer stations, landfill and disposal sites.
- Maximizes, promotes and guides the County's Recycling programs for the environmental and fiscal benefit of the County.
- The selected candidate must demonstrate highly developed executive leadership skills, public administration acumen and the ability to lead a large municipal organization.
- At least ten (10) years of Executive Public Works experience required; Seven (7) to ten (10) years' experience as Director of Public Works preferred.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant managerial experience.
- Master's Degree preferred; BS (or BA) in Business, Public Administration, Civil Engineering or a related field or equivalent experience required; Must be registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Maryland; and registration with the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) is preferred.
- Ideal candidate will be a visionary and thought leader, solution-oriented, and results-driven with a passion for public service to join the team as the Director of Public Works. The Director must be a leader who leads by example and is dedicated to creating and maintaining a highly professional and accountable culture that attracts and retains the best talent and workforce.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to provide high-level oversight on a multitude of projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to cultivate and foster enterprise-wide productivity on all levels.
- Proven track record of working in partnership with multiple governmental agencies at the local, state and federal levels.