The Utilities Design and Construction Division (UDCD), in Capital Facilities, Fairfax County is seeking an Engineer who will be responsible to provide overall construction management for a wide variety of county transportation projects.
- Ensure quality, timely delivery and cost effectiveness of transportation projects.
- Manages all phases of construction contract administration including design review, preparation of bid documents, contract award, inspections, quality assurance, schedule review, payment certification, change order and claim negotiation, resolution of construction problems, coordination with end-user agencies, and contract close-out.
- Ensures timely and accurate preparation of all contractual and financial documents, project documentation and correspondence.
- Ensure construction progress is timely, reviews inspection reports and takes any appropriate action necessary to correct conflicts or problems.
- Duties are performed under the general supervision of the chief and senior project engineers of the Transportation Construction Branch.
- The successful applicant must be highly motivated and possess the skills necessary to work in a fast-paced collaborative team environment. Provides outstanding customer service to end users and project stakeholders. Candidates must have excellent written, analytical, and verbal communication skills.
- This position allows limited teleworking and requires at least two (2) full days in the office per workweek after the initial orientation period (requirement subject to change in accordance with latest Fairfax County policy).
- Learn more about UDCD.
Fairfax County Government is committed to our employees, and offer comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. Through LiveWell and the Benefits Division, we endeavor to cultivate a culture of wellbeing that empowers, educates and engages employees and retirees to make life-long choices that promote a holistic approach to their physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual and financial wellness. Please review our awesome benefits in the following links:
Position may be underfilled as an Engineer II; the Underfill Requirements are stated below in the Employment Standards section.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus four years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
This vacancy may be underfilled at the level of Engineer II (Grade S24, $62,693 - $104,489). The employment standards for the Engineer II are: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus one year of professional experience in the appropriate engineering field. Click here to view the complete details and KSAs for the Engineer II. Upon completion of an underfill agreement (which will require that the employee meet the employment standards stated above in addition to obtaining competencies defined by the hiring agency) the employee will be elevated to the level of Engineer III. Underfill candidates must be able to meet the minimum qualifications of the Engineer III within two years of the job announcement's closing date.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a driver's license check to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- Four years of experience in construction contract administration of complex transportation and major utility or public works projects.
- Experience in planning, budgeting, design, construction, project management, and construction contract administration of complex transportation, and other utility projects.
- Experience in the preparation of bid documents, contract award, inspections, quality assurance, schedule review, payment certification, change order and claim negotiation
- Experience working with construction plans, specifications, construction site quality control practices, general knowledge of construction practices and applicable codes, and owner/contractor payment processes.
Must be able to physically negotiate rough terrain and typical construction sites to perform field inspections at project construction sites or potential sites for future facilities such as sanitary sewer, sidewalk, trail, bus stop improvements, transportation improvements, and community improvement type construction projects. Able to safely climb construction ladders up to 25 feet in height and able to go up and down stairs for multi-story buildings or project sites. Ability to hear and properly respond to typical construction alarms and verbal warnings on active construction sites. Ability to produce organized and legible handwritten, typed/computer generated documents including the use of graphics. Ability to lift 30 pounds with assistance. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.