The City of Boulder is internationally renowned for its commitment to sustainability and its innovation in multi-modal transportation and mobility. We are seeking a creative and agile leader to serve as the City’s Director of Transportation and Mobility. This is a unique opportunity for a strong leader with a broad transportation background who thrives in a diverse and progressive environment.
The Director of Transportation and Mobility leads, plans, collaborates, directs and manages the municipal mobility system now and into the future. The position is responsible for oversight of operations, services, programs and projects of the division by developing and maintaining a safe, efficient, environmentally sound, balanced, integrated and innovative transportation system that supports all modes. This position requires an agile and responsive leader able to effectively navigate a diverse environment while serving as a resource and collaborator to City Council, the Planning Board, the Transportation Advisory Board, Public Works staff, other city employees, and the public.
The Director of Transportation and Mobility is responsible for a team of 75.91 FTE, including 2 direct reports, and manages an overall budget of over $40 million. Direct reports include the Airport Manager and the Deputy Director of Transportation and Mobility. The Deputy Director position handles much of the day to day oversight, allowing the Director to focus on policy making, relationship building and partner collaboration and overall Department coordination.
The primary areas for which the Director of Transportation and Mobility is responsible include:
• Leading the department through team development, building a culture consistent with city values, and empowering employees;
• Serving as a resource and collaborator to the City Council, Planning Board, Transportation Advisory Board, Public Works staff and other city employees, and the public;
• Providing overall leadership and management of Transportation/Mobility services, which includes supervision of the following functional areas: GO Boulder (Transportation Policy, Planning, and Programs), Transportation Operations, Project Engineering and Management, Street Maintenance (Streets, Bikeways, and Median Maintenance), and Airport Management;
• Leading a team of engineers, planners, managers and technicians to develop, manage, and implement all mobility plans including the comprehensive Transportation Master Plan and Airport Master Plan;
• Developing and administering operating and capital budgets to ensure effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds and management of revenue collection; and
• Preparing, collaborating and supporting department participation in emergency response such as acts of nature and human caused hazards.
The ideal candidate will be politically savvy with proven ability to engage staff, partner with city leaders, and develop positive relationships with the community. Collaborative skills are essential to establish relationships and positively impact stakeholders within the city organization as well as externally. The ideal candidate is innovative and flexible with a broad transportation background while possessing excellent oral and written communication skills. The City welcomes visionary leaders with strong management abilities who value problem solving, critical thinking, and diversity.
Additional characteristics being sought include:
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills, decisiveness, organizational and problem-solving skills;
• Knowledge and experience in the application of current engineering principles, practices and procedures as they apply to municipal infrastructure and service delivery with the ability to transform those practices to a changing future;
• Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills;
• Experience in developing and nurturing an effective workplace culture;
• Demonstrated history of collaboration with boards, commissions, councils, regional and agency partners, and community groups;
• Demonstrated public process and public presentation skills, including strong public communication skills and the ability to communicate complex issues with clarity;
• Broad experience with all modes of municipal transportation, including advancing innovative projects, programs and/or designs;
• Demonstrated skills facilitating the development of work plans and budget with staff;
• Demonstrated ability to identify clear standards for employee work performance, monitor work performance, track qualitative performance measures and actively seek customer feedback;
• Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate and supervise the work of engineering and technical personnel, and provide quality control for technical work competence, responsiveness and customer satisfaction;
• Demonstrated skills in coordinating the activities of a work group with other work groups in an organization;
• Demonstrated skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
Please submit your materials to: https://executivesearch.cpshr.us/JobDetail?ID=640