Job Summary: Ensures that the construction of public water and sewer facilities conforms to specifications approved by the Metropolitan Commission; performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for the construction, installation, maintenance, and repair of public water and sewer facilities;
- Manages construction division personnel;
- Inventories and orders equipment and supplies;
- Oversees operation of and operates heavy construction equipment, including but not limited to, loaders, backhoes, motor graders, etc., to build and maintain water supply and wastewater disposal lines and facilities, access roads, and adjacent terrain;
- Oversees operation of and operates dump trucks, utility tractors, hand tools, etc. in support of project work:
- Oversees the servicing, repairing, and adjusting of machines and equipment;
- Assists inspection staff with miss utility locates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of the construction of water and sewer lines and facilities;
- Ability to efficiently and effectively manage a construction crew and equipment;
- Ability to effectively communicate with other staff and members of the public;
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission policies and procedures;
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records;
- Ability to safely operate heavy equipment, machinery, and tools;
- Knowledge of relevant maintenance and repair practices and procedures;
- Knowledge of safety regulations and established procedures for ensuring safety;
- Ability to obtain a valid Maryland Commercial Driver’s license, Class A.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or relate field;
- And five or more years of job related experience;
- Or HS Diploma or G.E.D. and seven or more years of job related experience;
- Or equivalent technical training, education, and/or experience.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work requires occasional strenuous effort, such as, bending and lifting tools, equipment, or materials of 30 to 60 pounds.
Work involves high risks or discomforts which require special safety precautions, e.g. working around moving parts, or machines. Employees may be required to use protective clothing or gear such as masks, gowns, coats, goggles, boots and gloves; may require working in adverse weather conditions or confined work spaces.