The City of Goddard is seeking an experienced professional to serve as Public Works Operations Manager. The City of Goddard is a community of approximately 4,900 citizens and abuts the City of Wichita, KS to its west.
The Public Works Director is a salaried & FLSA exempt position which is responsible for directing work of assigned personnel and when necessary assisting with the tasks. The employee directs the work of subordinates engaged in the maintenance and repair of streets, alleys, the municipal wastewater collection system, the storm water system, and the potable water production, potable water storage, and potable water pumping systems. The employee in this position is a working supervisor and, at times, will perform the same duties as his subordinates. This employee exercises considerable independent judgment in directing field operations. The Public Works Operations Manager suggests maintenance, equipment, and construction needs and consults with the Director of Community Development & Public Works on these issues.
The oversight of the care and maintenance of the city’s streets, water system, sanitary sewer collection system, parks and associated facilities is the immediate responsibility of the Public Works Director. The Public Works Director is an executive leadership position and supervisor of employees assigned to the Public Works & Utilities Department. The Public Works Director reports to the City Administrator.
- Bachelor's Degree, Master Degree Preferred
- Three years water distribution, sewer collection system maintenance, and construction experience preferred. Completion of a bachelor's degree in a related field can count as experience in meeting this desired qualification. (Engineering or Public Administration)
- Thorough knowledge of practices, materials, and equipment used in water distribution and sewer collection systems.
- Ability to read maps & blueprints.
- Experience in safely and efficiently operating heavy equipment.
- Ability to maintain a current Kansas CDL driver’s license and an insurable driving record with city's insurance carrier.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and communicate effectively and clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to obtain necessary Class 3 Water & Class 4 Sewer certifications within 24 months of employment.
- More than three to five years municipal service with water distribution, sewer collection system maintenance, and construction experience preferred. Completion of a Bachelors degree in Engineering or Master of Public Administration can count as experience in meeting this desired qualification.
- Experience in supervising work crews.
- Ability to effectively direct, coordinate, and evaluate the activities of subordinates and effectively lead and motivate subordinates to achieve a high level of productivity and professional conduct.
- Demonstrated ability to build a team environment and use participatory decision-making.
- Ability to accurately estimate project materials and costs.
- Ability to prepare, track and work within a budget, knowledge of human resource programs and systems, and demonstrated organization and management skills.
- Can clearly and concisely express ideas both orally and in writing to maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, subordinates, other City departments, and elected public officials.
Starting salary and benefits are negotiable based upon experience and qualifications.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit an application through www.hrepartners.com.
A review of resumes will begin on Wednesday, July 10, 2019.
The City of Goddard is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The City Goddard does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The City shall make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures when the modifications are necessary to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability, unless the City can demonstrate that making the modifications would fundamentally alter the nature of the service, program, or activity. The City of Goddard will not place surcharges on individuals with disabilities to cover the costs involved in making programs accessible.
Job Type: Full-time
- Water Distribution, sewer collection system maintenance: 3 years (Required)