Due to the retirement of the current long-standing Director, the City of Pullman is seeking a new Public Works Director. A successful candidate is a person with proven leadership and the ability to create an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates differences while effectively managing the resources available to him/her. The Public Works Director is responsible to direct civil & traffic engineering, protective inspections, street maintenance, water/wastewater/stormwater operations & maintenance, transit system, and equipment rental operations (maintaining & procuring internal assets) for the City of Pullman.
This position reports directly to the City Administrator and may serve as the City Administrator in their absence. A successful candidate would have their PE Certification, knowledge of the principles & practices of civil & public works engineering, street/water/sewer/stormwater operations & maintenance programs, and transit operations. The role demands the ability to prepare & present clear & accurate status reports of departmental progress towards Council goals, objectives & plans. A strong leader would encourage inclusivity while organizing, directing, delegating and evaluating a diverse public works program through the network of subordinate managers and supervisors.
Bachelor's degree in engineering, preferably civil engineering, PE Certification
required or ability to obtain within six months of hire. Seven (7) years of progressively responsible managerial experience in public works
construction projects and/or engineering design.
The ideal candidate is innovative, an inclusive leader and creative-thinker. Must possess outstanding communication skills; leadership abilities and customer service skills. Any equivalent combination of experience and training would be satisfactory.
• Plans, organizes & directs the design, construction, operation & maintenance of civil & traffic engineering, protective inspections, street maintenance, water/wastewater collection and treatment plant/stormwater operation & maintenance, transit system, and equipment rental.
• Manages department work, project and personnel activities of the Transit, Street, Water, Wastewater, Equipment Rental, Engineering, and Protective Inspections Divisions.
• Directs the strategic planning, policy development, goal setting, data collection and reporting activities of the Public Works department.
• Prepares annual budget, capital improvement plans, transportation improvement plans and special project programs; monitors expenditures and cash flow; makes recommendations on required adjustments of budget and programs.
• Informs City Administrator, Mayor and City Council on the status of
departmental areas of responsibility by preparing reports and making
presentations at public hearings; attends City Council meetings, planning
commission and board of adjustment meetings as requested or needed. This
position requires extensive interactions with the public. Candidate must possessstrong communication skills with an emphasis on positive public relations.
• Directs department managers and supervisors. Serves as a team leader.
• Manages the City’s oversight of private residential and commercial
• Administers engineering, street/utility construction and maintenance, and transit projects including conceptual development, programming, preparing formal grant applications; develops project plans for use by consultants or city staff; reviews draft plans, reports, and specifications; recommends contract awards, administers contracts and approves payments.
Current benefits include:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 11 paid holidays.
- Participation in the public employees retirement system.
To be considered for this position, candidates are required to submit a completed City of Pullman on-line application at http://www.pullman-wa.gov including a cover letter, and résumé.
(A detailed job description is available on the City of Pullman website)
FIRST APPLICATION REVIEW: APRIL 19, 2021.
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED