This position serves as Director of the Electrical, Water/Sewer, and Sanitation Departments, and reports directly to the City Administrator. The incumbent is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the utilities department (electric, utility locate, water, sewer, water treatment and wastewater treatment). The incumbent provides departmental planning and budgeting, and personnel management.
Rate of Pay: 85,217.60 - 86,923.20
Details: Position Closes 04/10/2020
This position usually requires several years of senior management experience and often the Director has an Engineering degree.
Under general supervision:
- Maintains the City's infrastructure by ensuring that routine maintenance is performed for existing systems and coordinates with other City departments in order to effectively plan for future growth demands and requirements.
- Provides direct management over department superintendents to develop, plan, and implement goals and objectives.
- Establishes departmental policies and procedures; enforces laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations pertaining to the functions under his/her control.
- Plans, administers and implements budgets for all departments under the purview of the Utility Director.
- Handles complex consumer complaints; investigates complaints and directs proper corrective measures and actions.
- Directs and participates in the preparation of technical and administrative reports. Presents reports and recommendations to the City Administrator and City Council, as necessary.
- Serves as City's liaison with consulting engineers, contractors, developers, other utility systems and governmental agencies in the planning and construction of new service lines
- Manages, directs, and evaluates superintendents and employees within the Utility Department and coordinates with HR on all phases of employee-related matters.
- Maintains highest level of integrity regarding City funds and conducts and represents the City at a level consistent with policy and law.
- Manages and/or develops Purchase Requisitions in the City's financial operating system; insures all are approved or rejected in accordance with current approved budget and that Purchase Orders are issued to the appropriate vendor(s).
- Ensures compliance with the City's Purchasing policies and procedures for all departments under the purview of the Utility Director.
- Ensures all invoices are properly reviewed and approved and routed to Accounts Payable in a timely manner.
- Coordinates with the City Administrator to ensure that the Administrator is advised of all appropriate communications associated with City business, both internal and external.
- Develops and implements short- and long-term initiatives within the utility department.
- Serves as department representative to Georgia Electric Cities (ECG) and Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia (MEAG), Environmental Protection Division (EPD), and Public Service Commission (PSC).
- Prepares, maintains and coordinates all appropriate reports and filings associated with the normal responsibilities of the Utility Director.
- Assists any City Official in any manner and capacity when called upon in accordance with City business.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree preferred in Engineering or related field.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration or related field is desirable.
- Three or more years of demonstrated experience as a senior manager in operating and maintaining local governmental electrical, water, and sewer system operations.
- Experience with utility billing systems.
- Experience with INCODE is preferred, but not mandatory.
- Municipal Electrical Authority of Georgia (MEAG) experience, preferred.
- Applicants must pass a drug screen test and possess a valid Georgia drivers license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of municipal electrical, water, wastewater and water treatment distribution systems operations, theories, and practices.
- Knowledge of materials, equipment, procedures and methods used in public utilities construction and maintenance activities.
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state and local codes and regulations for all utilities.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions necessary to the operations of heavy trucks and equipment related to utilities systems.
- Knowledge of electric and water rate structures.
- Skill in management and supervision.
- Skill in public relations and interpersonal communications.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Ability to maintain professionalism, courtesy, and composure at all times, including stressful situations.
- Ability to evaluate proposals, plans/drawings and determine and recommend the appropriate course-of-action.
- Ability to brief City Council on plans, recommend contract awards and appropriate purchases/ upgrades.
- Ability to use independent judgment in the interpretation, application and enforcement of laws, regulations and policies pertaining to the City's utility services.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and database systems.
- Ability to establish and maintain tactful, courteous, and effective working relationships, including the general public.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of City business and preparatory information.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment to achieve common goals.SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The City Administrator assigns work in terms of departmental goals and objectives.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include city codes, department policies and procedures, DOT regulations, Electric Cities safety manual, and state and federal laws and regulations dealing with water distribution, wastewater collection and wastewater treatment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work is typically performed while sitting, standing, walking, b ending, crouching or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity and must be able to distinguish between shades of color.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is typically performed indoors in an office or business environment, with some exposure to the outside environment during site visits, inspections or during other events.
- To apply for this position go to our website www.fairburn.com. Should you have any questions call Abril Montano in the HR Dept 770 964-2244 x111.
- This position will close on 04/10/2020