The Director is an active member of the City's leadership team, responsible for collaboratively advancing the City Manager/City Council’s priorities; proactively engages the community; and furthers the department’s mission/initiatives. Manages all department operations, including water distribution and treatment, wastewater collection and treatment, City streets and parks, City vehicles/rolling stock, City-owned public buildings/grounds/equipment, and capital improvement program. Oversees staffing and scheduling for all areas of the department. Sets policies and procedures, goals, priorities and objectives. Prepares annual departmental and capital project budgets.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR ACTIVITIES
1. Provides leadership for the department by developing, reviewing, updating, and implementing a strategic vision and plan for the department employees and infrastructure assets.
2. Plans, budgets, and oversees employees engaged in the short and long term operation and maintenance activities related to City's infrastructure assets and facilities.
3. Provides input into the Capital Improvement Plan, coordinates the design and construction of approved capital projects.
4. Hires, reviews the performance of, and terminates department employees subject to the provisions of the Personnel Regulations. Supervises and directs all Public Works employees.
5. Prepares and recommends annual operating budget for Public Works Department including: water, sewer, parks, motor pool, road maintenance, cemetery, airport terminal Port and Harbor maintenance, administration and capital outlay.
6. Assists City Manager and Public Works employees to answer inquiries and resolve conflicts or complaints from the public.
7. Coordinates the preparation of requests for proposals for consultant design and construction contracts. Monitors progress and approves pay requests. Coordinates the acquisition of all local, state and federal environmental and regulatory construction permits.
8. Assists the preparation of grant/loan applications for capital projects and assures that grant/loan conditions are met during design and construction phases.
9. Evaluates and recommends to City Manager the extent of maintenance required and requirements for equipment additions or replacement, annually during the budget process on a 5-year schedule.
10. Coordinates with the Finance Director/Department to ensure all required paperwork for purchase orders, work orders, and billing of Public Works Department activities is completed.
11. Advises City Manager on proposed City projects and their effect on the Public Works Department.
12. Attends City Council work sessions/meetings as required.
13. Performs other duties as directed by the City Manager.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field desirable. Minimum of five years of experience in the planning, construction, maintenance, or operations of public facilities, utilities, or transportations systems. At least three years of this experience must have been at a managerial level and must have included responsibility for supervising professional level staff in government or city service position. Extensive knowledge of Public Works operation, federal and state regulations applicable to Public Works facilities required. Successful candidate will possess strong oral and written communication skills, be skilled in building and maintaining effective working relationships with government officials and special interest groups, be able to resolve conflict and build consensus where there are differing opinions and interests, have a strong history of developing and implementing new programs or services to increase operational efficiencies, and the ability to lead a team of professional staff in delivering excellent services to the community we serve. Valid Driver License required.
DECISION MAKING RESPONSIBILITIES
Requires independent judgment in planning major projects and scheduling activities of department personnel and in making efficient use of resources. Responsible for managing, creating, and operating a budget for Public Works as well as water and wastewater utility for maintenance and operations of all City facilities and equipment. Has maximum budget authority at the department level. Develops policy and procedure at City-wide level. Activities are a major source of potential liability to the City.
Appoint and dismiss all employees under the Director's jurisdiction as delegated by the City Manager, subject to the provisions of the Personnel Regulations. Supervise and direct work of all Public Works employees.
High frequency of contact with key City personnel, general public and government officials and attendance at public meetings. Moderate contact with key Service personnel.
Low exposure to hazardous working conditions. Infrequent exposure to adverse weather conditions. Attendance at Council meetings may be required at the request of the City Manager in regards to Public Works projects. Overtime exempt position.