Salary and Benefits: $65,000.00 per year. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package. This summary provides a brief overview of the benefits available to regular full-time municipal employees; these benefits include retirement pension administered by CMERS (Connecticut Municipal Employees Retirement System), health insurance (medical, dental, vision, prescription), life, disability, paid leave, paid holidays, 457(b) deferred compensation plan (employee paid), and other voluntary employee paid benefits. This is a unionized position.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and supplied application to COB.Jobs@BridgeportCT.gov.
Accepting complete submissions until the position is filled.
(Any/all changes to this opening shall be at the discretion of the City of Bridgeport)
The City of Bridgeport is in Fairfield County at the mouth of the Pequonnock River on Long Island Sound. It is bordered by the towns of Trumbull to the north, Fairfield to the west, and Stratford to the east; with an approximate population of 147,000, 50,367 households, and a population density of 9,226 residents per square mile. The city has a Mayor-City Council form of government. The City’s Mayor is the chief executive officer of the City and serves four- year term(s). The City Council, which acts as the City’s legislative body, consists of twenty (20) members elected for two-year terms.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Under the direction of the City Engineer and directly reporting to the Permit Supervisor, coordinates License and permit responsibilities including excavation permits, sidewalk permit and occupancy permits. The Permit Inspector also assists Engineering with various civil (municipal) engineering duties in order to complete municipal Capital Improvement engineering projects from start to finish including, project management, inspection, coordination with contractors and other work as related.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Acts under the supervision of the Department Head.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential functions or duties described below are the primary functions and duties of the position. There may be other types of work that may be performed, and the omission of a particular duty or function does not exclude that duty or function from the position provided the duty or function is similar in work, related to the work or logically assigned to the position.
- Coordinates and performs inspections relating to various projects, sidewalks, road paving, and construction of developers.
- Assists with annual City programs that include road paving and repairs, crack sealing, pavement markings, and installation and replacement of sidewalks and ramps.
- Inspects private and public work within the Right of Way pertaining to excavations and sidewalk and roadway reconstruction.
- Inspects construction of highway and public works facilities such as: streets, sidewalks, parking lots, recreational facilities and drainage systems.
- Addresses public and private groups on public works
- Confers with engineers, surveyors, architects, builders, developers, and the public on City engineering and public works matters.
- Coordinates project work with other towns, state and federal agencies as
- Administers and inspects Maintenance and Protection of Traffic plans for roadway
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- A valid Connecticut Driver’s License is required for transportation between various
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Graduation from a recognized college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering/Civil Engineering Technology or minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible public facilities experience in Roadway/Civil Construction.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Minimum of five (5) years civil construction or public works
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices to implement municipal civil public works projects with field associated experience.
- Must be able to read and understand civil construction plans and
- Working knowledge of the techniques and construction practices used in public works
- Working knowledge of the State of Connecticut DOT design
- Intermediate computer skills using various types of software including Microsoft Office and ability to easily learn new software programs.
- General knowledge of the Connecticut Guidelines for Soil Erosion and Sediment
- Intermediate knowledge of Engineering standards such as ASCE and
- Ability to deal effectively with staff, officials, project personnel and the
- Ability to establish an effective working relationship with contractors, developers, utility representatives, co-workers and the general public.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in
- Ability to follow quickly and accurately brief oral and written
- Must be able to work under adverse weather
- Certification in material testing including but not limited to American Concrete Institute (ACI) and National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET). A minimum of 5 years’ experience in civil construction may be allowed in lieu of Certifications.
The conditions below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, and talk or The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift weights up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
This job description is not, nor is to be intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions, responsibilities, and qualifications which comprise this position.
This position will require a pre-employment medical examination and drug testing.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
For further information and contact: CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION 45 LYON TERRACE
BRIDGEPORT, CT 06604
TELEPHONE: (203) 576-7103