WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE IN THIS JOB:
Office located at Riverdale Regional Park, approximately five
miles south of Brighton, one mile west of U.S. Highway 85 on Henderson Road.
Salary: $115,738 - $162,034
The Director is responsible for providing leadership and strategic vision and planning, to all activities of the Parks and Open Space Department: administration, county fair, parks development, open space program, parks and trail maintenance, parks capital construction, serves as a liaison to the Riverdale Golf Course management, and C.S.U. Cooperative Extension offices; and recommends and administers policies and procedures
The ideal candidate will be an innovative leader with a high level of integrity and the ability to inspire others to work toward the County's vision and mission, have a proven track record in building and maintaining effective relationships with staff and external customers by operating in line with our cultural norms of support and encourage, demonstrate respect, exhibit fairness, communicate effectively, and be trustworthy.
This is a key position within Adams County and promotes and integrates the mission, vision, values, and cultural norms of the organization and it is essential for the successful candidate to work closely with the County Manager and Deputy County Manager and assume the leadership and strategic role of the Parks and Open Space Department.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES FOR SUCCESS:
• Prepares and provides professional recommendations and excellent customer service to the Board of County Commissioners and related Boards and Commissions, the County Manager, Deputy County Manager and other County Departments, and the public.
• Acts as an ambassador by understanding and fostering the organization's mission, vision, values, and cultural norms.
• Provides leadership to team members and performs supervisory duties including instructing, assigning, reviewing, and planning work of others.
• Develop, in collaboration with the parks management team, a vision for the department that connects to the organizational strategic plan.
• Continuously monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement; directs the implementation of changes.
• Represents the Parks and Open Space Department to other County departments, elected officials and outside agencies; explains and interprets Parks and Open Space Department programs, policies, and activities; negotiates and resolves sensitive, significant, and controversial issues.
• Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates Parks and Open Space Department team members; provides or coordinates staff training; partners with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
• Plans directs and coordinates, in collaboration with the Parks leadership team, the Parks and Open Space Department's work plan and performance measures; meets with supervisory staff to identify and resolve problems; assigns projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures.
• Manages and participates in the development and administration of the Parks and Open Space Department budget; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; directs the monitoring of and approves expenditures; directs the preparation of and implements budgetary adjustments as necessary. Develop and implement performance metrics to improve business and operational efficiency.
• Coordinates Parks and Open Space Department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provides staff assistance to the County Manager, Deputy County Manager, and Board of County Commissioners; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
• Participates on a variety of boards and commissions; attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of parks management and administration.
• Collaborate with the County Manager's Office and team members to develop innovative solutions that support and promote a high-performing organization.
• Provides leadership to the operations of the Adams County Fair in coordination with staff and the Adams County Fair Board.
• Provides leadership to the operations of the Adams County Open Space Program in coordination with staff and the Adams County Open Space Advisory Board.
• Provides leadership for parks/trails grant preparation, submittal, project management, and close out of grants.
• In partnership with the County Manager's Office and the Board of County Commissioners, assists in developing one of the County's greatest assets the Riverdale Regional Park master plan.
• Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
• Value diversity; demonstrate an awareness of differences; demonstrate sensitivity, and adapt behaviors and communication to accommodate these differences.
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
To be successful, our ideal candidate should have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Skilled in organization and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies, and operational needs.
• Skilled in understanding public service to the community and demonstrating a global organizational perspective in decision making processes.
• Skilled in advanced principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
• Skilled in principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
• Ability to operate modern office equipment including computer equipment.
• Ability to provide administrative and professional leadership, and direction.
• Ability to successfully plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the work of supervisory, professional, technical, maintenance, and clerical personnel; delegate authority and responsibility.
• Skilled at developing, implementing, and administering goals, objectives, and procedures for providing effective and efficient parks and open space services.
• Ability to select, supervises, train, and evaluate staff.
• Ability to identify and respond to community, County Manager, Deputy County Manager, and Board of County Commissioners' issues, concerns, and needs.
• Ability to prepare and administer large and complex budgets; allocate limited resources in a cost effective manner.
• Skilled in preparing clear and concise administrative reports.
• Ability to interpret and apply Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations.
• Ability to operate and maintain a regional and satellite parks, trails, and open space system.
• Ability to develop and implement a parks capital improvement program, including the design and management of renovation and new construction projects.
• Skilled at communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Support/promote change; demonstrate flexibility, and take calculated risks when appropriate.
• Demonstrate high emotional intelligence, tact and diplomacy.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR SUCCESS:
• Experience: Prefer seven (7) or more years of increasingly responsible parks and open space management or public administration experience, including five (5) years of administrative and leadership experience.
• Education and Training:
o Education equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business, Public Administration, Natural Resource Management, Parks and Recreation or a related field.
o A Master's Degree and experience in Natural Resource Management, Parks and Recreation, Economic Development, Public Administration, and or Project Management is highly desirable.
• License or Certificate: None.
• Background Check: Must pass a criminal background check.