Salary: $86,081.78 - $125,676.80 Annually
The purpose of this position is to assist with the management of the Public Utilities Department. This is accomplished by managing employee relations; assigning and overseeing utility billing and public works projects; ensuring programs are viable and within budgets; overseeing communications strategies; supporting technology systems; working with customers, employees and departments; monitoring compliance activities; preparing and managing budgets; and managing the employee safety and injury process. Additional duties include forecasting finances; responding to inquiries; working with vendors; and managing rate and fee studies, surveys and analyses.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises department functions by managing compliance with policies, procedures, and federal, state, and local regulations;
- Oversees technology upgrades by preparing business requirements and project plans; reviewing vendor documents; testing new functionalities; monitoring billing processes, meter reads and utility projects; projecting and implementing meter replacement and upgrade programs; and coordinating projects with staff and vendors;
- Works with customers by addressing complaints and incidents; researching discrepancies and issues; calculating monetary adjustments; and developing and providing information to new and existing customers;
- Participates in the development and implementation of business plan goals, objectives, and priorities; develops, recommends, and implements performance measures and benchmarks; monitors results of operational performance; and takes corrective action to ensure effectiveness of work processes and productivity.
- Develops strategies to increase revenues by reviewing and forecasting requirements; preparing and monitoring budgets; developing policies and procedures; reviewing revenues and expenditures; compiling information; coordinating budget reviews and presentations; establishing practices for delinquent accounts; and monitoring debt collection;
- Directs employee activities by establishing standards and monitoring performance; establishing timelines for project and work completion;
- Coordinates the operational budget by developing budget materials; preparing estimates; reviewing revenues and expenditures; compiling information; and coordinating budget reviews and presentations; and
- Coordinates water/sewer rate studies to help ensure sufficiency of rates to cover operational and capital costs
- Leads water conservation efforts including designing promotional campaigns and programs to encourage wise water usage
- Performs other assigned duties.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, public administration, or related field;
- Five (5) years of related work experience in utility or public works program management; previous experience as a Utility Billing Manager or Assistant Director preferred.
- Or equivalent training, education, and/or experience; and
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of projects, programs, and lifecycle management, including research techniques, methods, and procedures;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of budget and financial research, development, and implementation;
- Knowledge of water utility billing, cash handling, and accounting methods
- Knowledge of supervisory management practices;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and providing excellent customer service;
- Skill in the operation and use of standard office software which includes databases and presentation programs, along with standard Microsoft products;
- Skill in communicating effectively both orally and in writing; and
- Ability to develop, design, create and implement new programs or systems, upgrade existing systems
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with co-workers, the public, and elected and appointed officials;
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with City administration, other employees, and the general public.