Reporting to the Director of Public Works, the Deputy Director is responsible for assisting the Director with all functions and activities within the Department of Public Works.
With 90 diverse and distinct neighborhoods, Pittsburgh has something for everyone. The focus of this role is assisting the Director to achieve results which are aligned with the larger picture of the organization and its strategic goals.
Working with the Director to identify strength and filling in any gaps is the key to achieving the performance objectives of this role. Because environmental and organizational conditions change rapidly, the work involves innovation and creativity in generating ideas for quick response. Decision-making is focused on implementing practical, timely solutions. The role requires getting things done quickly and handling a variety of activities. Self-assurance, and the confidence to purposely drive toward results while constantly problem-solving and engaging the commitment of others is essential.
A leadership style that is firm and goal oriented, and yet motivates, trains, and engages others in an enthusiastic way is important. The emphasis on building rapport and relationships with individuals and groups requires an outgoing, poised and persuasive communication style. Because the pace of the work is faster than average, the ability to learn quickly and thoroughly while continually recognizing and adapting to changing conditions is critical.
The scope of the role requires effectively managing up and down, responsibility for follow through on the Director’s key priorities, and accountability for timely results. The role requires a sense of urgency and the confidence to handle a variety of challenges, a full commitment to the success of the city and high standards of achievement are expected in this role. The emphasis is on results, and effective systems that achieve results through and with people.
Salary: 101,196.00 per year.
Union: None: This is a non-union position
Union Bid Form: None Required
Civil Service Classification: Exempt
General Application Requirements:
You must submit or show proof of all of the following at the time of filing your application (unless otherwise indicated below) or your application will be disqualified. Disqualifications based on any of these General Application Requirements are not subject to a Civil Service appeal.
- A completed online City of Pittsburgh Employment Application, including your online Employment Profile Data. (Education and Work Experience).
- Completed online City of Pittsburgh Supplemental Form questions for this position.
- A current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator's License at the time of filing application or prior to appointment, which must be maintained throughout employment. Written requests for a special accommodation on the basis of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act will be considered by the Department of Human Resources and Civil Service on an individual basis.
- A resume, to be submitted online.
- Applicants must be or become residents of the City of Pittsburgh prior to employment and remain a resident throughout employment. Click here to view a map of City of Pittsburgh neighborhoods.
- You are required to obtain a Certified Public Works Professional Management (CPWP-M) certification through the American Public Works Association (APWA) within one (1) year from the date of hire.
NOTE: The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts pre-employment and promotional background investigations on all candidates being considered for positions. The background investigation includes but is not limited to criminal background, driver's license and City of Pittsburgh real estate tax payments. Candidates may be disqualified from consideration from employment based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
NOTE: Candidates being considered for employment will be required to submit official transcripts to verify of their post-secondary education (college/university, trade school, etc.) prior to being hired by the City of Pittsburgh. Transcripts must be submitted at the time of any/each job interview you have with the City of Pittsburgh.
II. Qualifying Requirements:
Your City of Pittsburgh application will be reviewed and your work experience and education/training will be evaluated to determine if you meet the qualifying eligibility requirements listed below for this position. You will be sent an eligibility letter regarding your eligible/ineligible status.
- WORK/TRAINING EXPERIENCE: The application must show six (6) years of full-time professional experience in the operation and maintenance of a large, complex public works operation or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Qualified candidates must currently possess or acquire within one (1) year of employment a Certified Public Works Professional Management (CPWP-M) certification through the American Public Works Association (APWA). (Full-time is defined as 32 hours or more per week. Less than full-time experience will be calculated on a pro-rated basis.)
CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATIONS
Civil Service Examination(s):
If you meet the qualifying requirements listed above, you will be sent a letter of admission (when applicable) for the following examination(s). You must pass the written and/or performance examination(s) in order to have your name placed on the official Civil Service eligibility list for this position. Candidates who receive job offers must pass a medical examination (when applicable) prior to start date.
- Written: None required for this position.
- Performance: None required for this position.
- Medical: None required for this position.
The following duties are normal for this position. They are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assists with the direction, management, organization and planning for the Department of Public Works, including the Bureaus of Administration, Operations, Facilities, and Environmental Services;
- Assists with the direction of expenditures of all operating and capital funds in the department and assists in the preparation and monitoring of the department’s operating and capital budgets and projects.
- Assists with development of and implementation of, and ensure compliance of all departmental and City-wide policies and procedures.
- Assists with the direction of the maintenance and repair of streets, parks, structures, walkways, public wharves and docks;
- Assists with the supervision of approximately 600 full and part time personnel; assigns, monitors and evaluates work; provides managerial direction;
- Assists the Director with Street Maintenance Operations (i.e. Snow and Ice Control Program, street cleaning, pothole patching, etc), Park Maintenance Operations, Facility Maintenance Operations and Capital Projects, and Solid Waste/Recycling Operations;
- Assists with the preparation of specifications for purchases, repair contracts and equipment.
- Coordinates departmental contract reviews; prepare contract award recommendations for the Director.
- Assists in providing technical assistance to the various Bureau Assistant Directors and subordinate personnel on all department projects and programs.
- Responds to residents.
- Represents the Director and the department and its policies to City Council, other departments and the public as needed.
- Works closely with other City employees, City departments, authorities, community organizations and other organizations as required.
- Assists with developing, implementing and monitoring the departmental diversity, equity, and inclusion plan ensuring compliance with applicable laws and guidelines and with the City-wide plan;
- Assists the Director with plans, develops, directs, coordinates, organizes and controls the materials, equipment and personnel to ensure the effective, efficient and economical attainment of program goals, including maximum convenience to the public and safety of employees.
- Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and established policy, including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
- Performs activities and functions of other personnel as assigned or required.
- Performs such other related tasks and duties that are assigned or required.
- Supervises assigned personnel, evaluates work and recommends and implements approved disciplinary and/or corrective action; provides training and/or technical assistance as requested or required.
CLICK HERE to view the full job description including knowledge, skills, and abilities and working conditions for this position. Locate and click on the position title to view the complete job description.