Under general supervision, performs specialized skilled work in the operation of one or more types of motorized heavy equipment used in various operations of the City Public Works Department. Work involves operating such heavy equipment as bulldozers, compactors, front- end loaders, motorized graders, motorized pan, farm tractors, and backhoe to clear or grade land, load trucks or assist in road repair work. Employee is also responsible for policing work sites for beautification purposes, and performing minor preventive maintenance on equipment. Employee must exercise some independent judgment in the performance of assigned tasks. Reports to the Street Superintendent.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
Examples of Duties
- Operates one or more types of motorized heavy equipment involved in the construction and maintenance of roads, building demolitions, and other construction projects, such as: bulldozers, compactors, front end loaders, motorized graders, motorized pan, farm tractors, track backhoe, tractor trailer and street sweeper; receives instruction and trains in use of various such equipment, as time and workload permits.
- Assists with minor maintenance and related care of equipment used in Public Works operations.
- Assists in street repair which includes setting steel concrete forms, pouring concrete, and finishing concrete, building storm drains and manholes.
- May put down chemicals and salt during ice and snow conditions on streets.
- May be responsible for some landscaping as required.
- Performs other related work as required.
Graduation from high school and 1 to 2 years of experience in the operation of heavy motorized equipment or construction field; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (Class B accepted, Class A preferred).
- Knowledge of the operation of motorized equipment used in the City Public Works Department.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and the proper safety precautions involved in operating heavy motorized equipment.
- Skilled in the use and operation of various motorized heavy equipment.
- Ability to perform minor maintenance on heavy motorized equipment.
- Ability to follow oral instructions.
- Ability to work effectively in an unpleasant working environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
- Ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable, functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) of data, people or things.
- Ability to speak/signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes receiving instructions, oral and written assignments and/or directions from superiors.
- Ability to read work orders and requisition forms. Requires the ability to prepare work orders and time cards, using prescribed format.
- Ability to apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
- Ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, to follow oral and written instructions. Must be able to use and interpret auto mechanic terminology and language.
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas; to add and subtract totals; to multiply and divide.
- Ability to inspect items for proper length, width and shape.
- Ability to differentiate between colors and shades of color.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under minimal levels of stress.