Salary: $119,089 - $151,992
The City of Medford has an exciting opportunity with a generous comprehensive benefit package for a Public Works Director. The finest people work here, shouldn't you?
Our new Public Works Director will be joining a high-performance organization which has invested in its people to provide outstanding, high quality services to our City. The Public Works Director will be leading a team of motivated and dedicated employees who have strong work ethics and enormous pride in their department and the City they serve.
The Public Works Director plans, organizes and directs the activities of the Public Works Department. The Public Works Director is classified as an “at-will” position. This position exercises supervision over all assigned staff in the department. Supervision exercised is channeled through the Deputy Public Works Director, Public Works Operations Manager and the Water Reclamation Division Manager. The Public Works Director provides direction and sets standards for excellence in internal and external customer service; promotes professional and courteous behavior with a creative approach to problem resolution and service delivery; and develops and implements the department goals and objectives. This position recommends service levels, identifies resource needs, and decides if services, programs and projects will be accomplished via the department personnel or contract.
This position requires a minimum of ten (10) years of progressive, professional engineering or public works administration experience in managing complex municipal public works, engineering, and utilities operations, with at least five (5) years in a supervisory capacity.
A bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a related field is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. Professional Engineer (PE) certification is not required.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFIT PACKAGE:
* Medical/Dental/Vision for employee and family, paid at 100% by the City with the opportunity to buy-up to a lower deductible plan
* Long Term Disability Insurance paid at 66% of salary
* Life Insurance – Policy Value of $50,000
* Accidental Death & Dismemberment – Policy Value of $50,000
* Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA-VEBA) – The City contributes $300 per month to your account
* Flexible Spending Account (FSA) – Employees have the option to enroll in a Health Care FSA or a Dependent Care FSA
* Voluntary Aflac and additional life insurance available
* The City’s Wellness Program promotes physical, social, emotional, intellectual, financial and environmental wellness with various goals and challenges to participate in throughout the year. Employees may qualify for wellness incentives by completing milestones set within the wellness program.
* The City has a fully equipped fitness center available 24 hours a day
Vacation and Sick Leave:
* Employees accrue vacation starting at 144 hours per year
* Employees earn 96 hours of paid sick leave annually
* Car allowance
* Cell phone allowance
* Oregon Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) is 100% paid as the City pays the Employee’s (6%) and the Employer’s (6%) contributions.
* Deferred compensation (Section 457 Plan) - The City contributes 1% to each employee in this group, provided that the employee contributes at least 1% of salary.
ABOUT THE CITY OF MEDFORD
Medford is located in Southern Oregon in the heart of the Rogue Valley and is the county seat for Jackson County. Located along Interstate 5 and just 27 miles north of the California border, Medford has 84,550 residents and is the regional industrial, medical and service center for 221,000 people, making it the fourth largest metro area in Oregon. Medford is a regional center for a seven county area serving southern Oregon and northern California.
Protected by surrounding mountains, Medford has a relatively mild climate and four distinct seasons, providing diverse opportunities for year-round recreational and cultural opportunities. The area is serviced by the Rogue Valley International Airport, which provides easy access in and out of the area. The airport is a full service airport that provides non-stop flights to seven large hub airports.
Medford operates under the Council-Manager form of government with the Mayor, who is elected city-wide and eight Council members representing four different wards. The City allocates resources through a biennial budget that is approved through June 30, 2021.