Associate Civil Engineer
Filing Deadline: Continuous
Annual Salary: $99,384 — $121,956
For those who desire a challenge and working in a dynamic environment in an urban setting, the City of San Bruno Public Works Department is a progressive organization offering a unique career opportunity.
The City of San Bruno is seeking an Associate Civil Engineer with a strong focus on traffic/transportation. The Associate Engineer develops traffic and pedestrian safety projects, is responsible for all signal installations and modifications to the City’s signal system, provides traffic engineering support to various Capital Improvement Projects (CIP), and reviews traffic impacts from private development projects. They will conduct studies to recommend changes for traffic safety and operational improvements, provide traffic signal design and review on CIP and private development, perform construction management of traffic and transportation improvement projects, review traffic impact studies and transportation demand management plans for private development projects, address parking issues, interact with general public to resolve traffic issues and citizen complaints, and make presentations to the Traffic Safety and Parking Committee.
Other duties may include determining codes, regulations, and requirements; providing project management for municipal public works projects; administering grant applications; review traffic control plans; administering permits for utility, street use, and franchise; providing engineering support for other City departments and other duties as assigned.
The ideal Associate Engineer candidate will possess the following:
- A minimum of three (3) years of responsible civil engineering experience performing duties comparable to an Assistant Civil Engineer
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in civil engineering or a closely related field
- Municipal or related consultant experience highly desirable
- Possession and maintenance of a valid registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California, or possess Professional Engineer Registration in another state with the ability to obtain California registration within six (6) months
- Advanced knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting.
- Extensive experience designing and implementing traffic related projects and be able to monitor and evaluate traffic signals and congestion.
Success will depend on being an inquisitive, competent, adaptable and articulate team player. In addition, candidates will have a successful track record of the following:
- Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical, functional, and/or professional skill or knowledge in traffic and transportation related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise; leveraging expert knowledge to accomplish results.
- Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that helps them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
- Placing a high priority on the internal and external customer’s perspective when making decisions and taking action; implementing service practices that meet the customers’ and own organization’s needs.
- Presenting ideas effectively to individuals or groups when given time to prepare; delivering presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (e.g., experiencing time pressure, conflict, or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill one Associate Civil Engineer - Traffic vacancy and may be used to fill future full-time vacancies as they occur during the active status of the employment list. For a full, detailed class specification, click HERE.
Check out our excellent benefits!
- CalPERS retirement formula of 2.7% @ 55 for classic members or 2% @ 62 for new members
- 80 hours management leave annually with an annual option to cash out
- Annual accruals of 10-23 vacation days based on years of service, 14.5 holidays and 12 sick days
- $500 personal and professional reimbursement annually
- Opportunity for bilingual incentive pay up to 2.5%
- Matching deferred compensation contribution of 0.5% of salary
- Medical, dental and vision benefits provided with employee contribution
- Life Insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
- Long-term disability insurance provided at no cost
- Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online at governmentjobs.com. The City of San Bruno utilizes a merit-based selection system. Such a system is competitive and based on broad outreach efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to take part in a process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position.
What happens next?
- We will review your application and all supplemental materials to select the best qualified applicants to continue in the process. Screening will include a review of minimum qualifications, application appraisal rating of education, training and experience and relevance of background qualifications related to the target job as well as supplemental questions if applicable.
- Applicants selected to move forward in the process may be asked to participate in any combination of the following (at any phase of the selection process): a written examination, job related exercise, physical test or job simulation, phone interview, in-person or video interview(s), and/or web-based testing.
- The final phase of the selection process is the probationary period, which in most cases is one year, depending on your classification.
Reasonable Accommodations: The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, age, physical or mental disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices.
The City of San Bruno Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the selection process to accommodate disabled applicants. Individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the process must inform the Human Resources Department by the final filing date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.