Salary: $87,312.00 - $130,968.00
The Engineering Division is part of the City’s Public Works Department and is responsible for providing project management, design, construction surveying, bid and specification development, contract administration, inspection, and other technical assistance in support of McMinnville’s capital improvement projects. The Engineering Division works closely with our Planning Department, Operations, and all City departments working on capital projects. The Engineering Division has four identified core services: 1) managing the City’s transportation, wastewater, storm sewer, and airport infrastructure and systems, 2) providing project management services for the City’s capital improvements projects, 3) monitoring public infrastructure improvements on privately funded development projects, and 4) performing utility locates/”Call Before You Dig.”
The Engineering Division has 7.32 FTE comprised of the City Engineer, the Engineering Project Manager, the GIS/CAD Specialist, two Engineering Technicians, and seasonal interns. The annual operating budget in the Engineering Division is just over $1M.
We are looking for a City Engineer with strong project management and leadership skills complemented by exceptional collaboration and people skills. The successful candidate will have experience in a municipal setting managing and overseeing capital improvement and infrastructure projects to ensure design and construction meet standards and permit requirements. We are looking for candidates with the ability to manage and lead teams and provide technical engineering expertise to support their work. Collaborative, creative, problem solvers are successful here in McMinnville. Like many municipalities, our resources are limited, and our project list is long; your ability to collaborate and think outside the box are invaluable in this role.
Specifically, we’re looking for an experienced mid-level manager who:
- Has solid management experience and can communicate expectations, clarify roles and responsibilities, delegate, and maintain accountability within their team
- Can effectively collaborate and coordinate with the entire Public Works Department including teams in Operations and Wastewater Services.
- Can oversee the planning, design, cost estimating, and construction management for infrastructure and capital improvement projects
- Can prepare, manage, and monitor an annual department budget
- Has experience with state and federal grants
- Can review plans, reports, and impact studies for compliance with City standards and permit regulations and recommend development conditions of approval.
- Has experience managing contracts
- Can calculate and assess fees and charges for systems development charges, inspection fees, and the like
- Can work with conflict and tension as priorities vary between developers, planners, and residents
- Truly embodies public service and manages their team with a strong work ethic
- Any combination of education and experience that prepares you for the role will be considered. Typical qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering and at least six years of increasingly responsible experience in engineering, construction management, or project management with at least two years of supervisory experience. A professional engineering license in Oregon is required for this role and may be obtained within the first six months on the job.
As our new City Engineer, you’ll lead the Division through capital improvement and infrastructure projects. You’ll do this with a team of highly capable technical staff with a wide range of engineering experience and skills. You’ll also work closely with the full Public Works Department and alongside the Planning Department. There are lots of exciting projects in store for McMinnville, especially as the City begins tackling projects funded by American Rescue Plan Act grant dollars for major infrastructure improvements to our historic downtown, stormwater capacity projects, and broadband infrastructure investments.
You’ll report directly to the Public Works Director.
This position offers the opportunity to work a hybrid schedule with a mix of days in the office and remote work, if desired.