Salary: $89,619.15 - $142,245.55 Annually
Close: Jan 11, 2020
The Hennepin County Public Works Transportation Operations Department seeks to fill a . This position will be involved with direction and coordination of the Transportation Operations Department. This position will serve in partnership with the Department Director on strategic planning efforts related to the mission, vision and goals for the department, public works and Hennepin County.
Effective January 3, 2021, there will be a general salary adjustment of 2% to the minimum and maximum of the range.
This position is currently being performed remotely due to COVID-19. Per business needs, the location may change to the Public Works Facility in Medina 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55340. The facility is located on a 146-acre campus, situated only 30 minutes from downtown Minneapolis, just 7 miles west of I-494.
In this position, you will:
- Provide leadership and direction to the Road Operations, Traffic Operations and Asset Management divisions of the Transportation Operations Department
- Assist in coordination with other Hennepin County Public Works departments and other lines of business in areas such as disparity reduction, climate action planning, long term comprehensive planning, transportation plans/policies, and capital/operating budgeting
- Present, describe, and discuss department projects, programs, initiatives and budgets with county leadership, public officials, citizens, and businesses, engineering, contractors and stakeholders
- Serve as Transportation Operations Department Director in the absence of the Director
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in civil engineering or related field and five years or more of supervisory or managerial experience pertaining to the specialized area of transportation, road, and/or highway systems.
- Nine years or more of supervisory or managerial experience pertaining to the specialized area of transportation, road, and/or highway systems.
Nice to have:
- Current licensure as a Professional Engineer with Minnesota Board of Registration or ability to obtain licensure within six-months
- Experience preparing, managing, and monitoring operating and capital budgets
- Experience assessing and implementing changes needed to improve workflows and efficiencies internally and/or with other departments or agencies
- Knowledge of or experience with complex highway operations and construction projects and processes, including negotiating and managing contracts and agreements with other agencies, units of government, and private businesses
- Ability to lead others with focus on the county’s core values, which include employee engagement, workforce development, diversity and inclusion, continuous improvement, and customer service
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with elected officials, public officials, citizens, department directors and the media
About the department:
We envision a Transportation Department whose members are respectful of one another and the public we serve and are committed to the delivery of a safe, high-quality county highway system. We are widely trusted and recognized for innovation, collaboration and the responsible use of resources.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
This position is internally classified as a Public Works Assistant Department Director.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
You must attached a cover letter and resume in order to apply.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Final candidates may be required to complete a background check.
If you have any questions, please contact: