This position is located in the Public Works Department which concerns repair, maintenance and construction of city facilities, infrastructure and parks. The position has a high level of managerial responsibility, diversified administrative, and technical expertise required to direct the operations of a major department of the City. The position involves the administering and supervising of work including, but not limited to, planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, making complex operating decisions and using professional judgment concerning the maintenance and construction projects assigned to the Public Works Department.
The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position.
- Prepares and administers budgets and makes necessary financial reports.
- Organizes the Public Works Department duties and personnel.
- Oversees and is responsible for monitoring all work and employees performance within the Public Work Department.
- Plans, coordinates and supervises activities of Public Works Department work crews, including detainees and individuals assigned to public services, involved in construction, or maintenance of facilities, buildings, equipment and/or grounds.
- Recruits and selects new employees using City Personnel guidelines and policies.
- Performs routine and non-routine performance evaluations on Public Works employees.
- Purchases equipment, vehicles and supplies needed to operate the Public Works Department using City purchasing policies and guidelines.
- Oversees and monitors departmental orientation, training and safety procedures.
- Monitors and actively works to keep on the job injuries at a minimum.
- Works closely with the City Manager to ensure success of Departmental goals and objectives.
- Prepares, reviews and selects bids from contractors for larger jobs which cannot be completed with in-house personnel using City bid policies and procedures.
- Performs plan review of development and redevelopment sites.
- Performs administrative duties and enforces the Soil and Sediment Control Act of 1975.
- Oversees the City’s Solid Waste Management Plan & Storm Water Management Plan.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Ensures that work performed through the department is done in compliance with state permits and regulations.
- Attends necessary maintenance, supervisory and management courses.
- Must be able to use email, EXCEL, WORD and other needed programs to complete and monitors tasks and communication.
- Other duties assigned as necessary.
- Departmental standard operating procedures.
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Able to understand and carry out both verbal and written instructions.
- Construction principals and practices pertaining to municipal Public works projects, ‘
- Ability to work as part of a team/crew.
- Effectively able to direct, supervise and motivate personnel.
- Able to communicate with citizens, elected officials, City management and subordinates with equal effectiveness.
- Requires the ability to exchange information for the purpose of clarifying details within established policies, procedures, and standards.
- Able to analyze problems and determine the best course of action.
- Handle materials, equipment, procedures and methods used in a variety of public works projects.
- Requires ability to calculate and or tabulate dates; and react performing subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
- Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference and descriptive data.
- Must be able to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentage; may include ability to perform mathematical operations with fractions; may include ability to compute discount, interest, profit and loss, ration and proportion; may include ability to calculate surface areas, volumes, and measures.
- Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule forms; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Able to assemble materials and construct rough products.
- Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measureable or verifiable criteria.
- Able to use computers, including emails, WORD, EXCEL, spreadsheets as well as calculators, telephones, fax’s and copy machines.
This position works under the general administrative direction of the City Manager.GUIDELINES:
Guidelines include federal, state, and local laws affecting construction and equipment use, city personnel rules and regulations, and departmental standard operating procedures. Guidelines are clear and specific but may need interpretation in application.COMPLEXITY:
This position involves simple to complex decision making requirements.SCOPE AND EFFECT:
Requires the ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable functional, structural, financial or compositional characteristics, (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards), of data, people, and/or things.PERSONAL CONTACTS:
Contacts are typically co-workers, department directors, City Council, City Manager, other city employees, city business owners, and the general public.PURPOSE OF CONTACTS:
Requires the ability to deal with a diverse group of people beyond giving and receiving instructions. This position needs to relate to people in situation involving more than giving or receiving instructions, such as in interpreting basic reports and standard operating procedures. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with a contingency or non-routine situation.PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Must be physically able to push, pull, and lift a minimum of 70 lbs routinely. Must be able to hear, smell, see (close, distance, color, peripheral vision and acceptable depth perception), walk, stand, bend, crouch, climb, work from tall ladders, and operate equipment requiring a high level degree of dexterity.WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is typically both indoors and outdoors. The employee may be exposed to hot, cold, or inclement weather. The noise level in the work environment is usually of moderate nature.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position has supervisory responsibilities to supervisors, and general workers in the department.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be able to perform all essential duties
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Civil Engineering or a related field.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.