Salary: $99,611.20-$126,110.40 Annually
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers.
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Associate Engineer classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
Per the City’s COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy, the City requires all employees starting on or after February 11, 2022, to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment absent a documented medical and/or religious exemption. Proof of vaccination means that employees are required to be “up-to-date” with regards to the COVID-19 vaccine. Consistent with the Santa Clara County Public Health Order issued on December 28, 2021, "up-to-date" means that an employee is not only "fully vaccinated," but has also obtained any booster doses of a COVID-19 vaccination for which they are eligible, within 15 days of first becoming eligible.
The Department is currently recruiting multiple Associate Engineer positions in several divisions, including the Transportation and Hydraulic Services (THS) Division and the City Facilities Architectural Services (CFAS) Division.
The THS Division is responsible for the design, construction, and master plan of bridges, culverts, streets, sidewalks, storm and sanitary sewers, pump stations, streetlights, landscape and hardscape improvements, traffic signals, and supports construction and engineering, upgrade and revitalization of the San Jose-Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility. In addition, this division provides general engineering plan review for general projects and electrical engineering review for projects constructed by private developers.
CFAS Division has the primary responsibility for the delivery of capital improvements projects on City properties and provides design and construction services for public buildings, landscape improvements, and capital maintenance projects, including recreational facilities, parks, trails, libraries, public safety facilities, and various cultural facilities.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Managing capital improvement projects, i.e., overseeing, controlling, and guiding the projects
• Interfacing with the public, consultants, contractors, other City departments/sections, and other agencies, and responsible for timely response to the stakeholders' requests and concerns on projects.
• Negotiating, preparing, and managing consultant agreements and/or construction contracts.
• Working with client to prepare project scoping and budgeting. Tracking and managing project costs using appropriate tools and resources.
• Preparing clearly written and effective reports and Council Memos.
• Supervising staff such as Engineers and Engineering Technicians by prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
• Responsible for permitting, managing, and designing capital projects.
• Preparing and/or reviewing designs, improvement plans, estimates, specifications, and contract documents for capital improvement projects, private development projects or other engineering related projects that are prepared by subordinates and/or consultants engaged by the City or by private developers.
• Reviewing and responding to Request for Information memos (RFIs) and submittals, negotiates change orders and reviews pay applications.
• Supervising the collection and analysis of field data and prepares recommendations
• Coordinating with construction inspectors and attends field meetings to resolve problems arising in the field during the construction of a public improvement project.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Do you have engineering design experience? If yes, please describe in detail your experience including the type and size of projects, complexity of systems that you designed, and your involvement in the planning, data collection and analysis, design, scheduling, preparing cost estimates, project controls, and documentation.
2. Do you have experience managing major public works projects and/or consulting contracts for public agencies? If yes, please list the number of projects you have manages and specifically describe in detail your involvement in the planning, coordination, design, bidding, awarding, constructing, scheduling, and tracking aspects of the project.
3. Do you have experience supervising and/or leading staff? If yes, please describe in detail the direct supervisory or lead experience you have had. Include the length of time you supervised or led staff, the number of employees under your direct supervision, and a description of your methods for developing your employees.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Tram Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org.