Under general supervision of the Water Department Foreman or other employee designated to supervise, the Technician I Utility Maintenance will perform physically demanding, limited skilled manual work. This position is considered essential personnel and will be required to respond to emergencies as needed throughout the Department of Public Works.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Clean gutters, culverts, and other drainage structures
- Perform pipe-fitting tasks.
- Load and unload stone, gravel, dirt, asphalt, timber, and heavy mechanical equipment
- Cut brush and weeds--spread sand and salt on slick and hazardous roads
- Perform road maintenance, e.g., setting forms and inlets, curbs and gutters
- Mix concrete and mortar
- Enter and work in confined spaces
- Repair road surfaces with asphalt mix
- Dig ditches and perform back-fill work
- Operate air tools or light equipment
- Turn water services for the public on and off/ install, program meters, and read water meters
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, co-workers, vendors and the general public as well as employees of utilities and other agencies whose business is related to water distribution operation, construction and maintenance.
- Answer telephone and/or communicate information to vendors, other departments, and the general public.
- Operate equipment including, but not limited to, pickup trucks, dump trucks, crane trucks, backhoe, front end loader, air compressor, power mower, power saw, jack hammer, grouting equipment and tapping machines.
- Set up work zone and pedestrian controls/flags traffic as required.
- Meet with contractors and homeowners to review locate requests/service calls and handle complaints
- Haul personnel, refuse, gravel, dirt, trash, etc.
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance tasks on equipment and machinery
- Maintain records and logs of work performed
- Maintain daily inspection logs on equipment and vehicles operated
- General knowledge and ability to use computers.
- The incumbent is required on a regular basis to operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices.
- Perform manual work and other duties required in DPW operations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Minimum One year experience as a laborer or equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Ability to perform preventative maintenance on the above listed equipment and vehicles.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid driver's license in good standing. Candidates must provide a copy of complete driving history for consideration.
REQUIRED SKILLS (Communication/Language; Mathematical; Computer; etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to type 20 words per minute.
- May be required to take training that will include but not be limited to confine space entry training, CPR & 1st aid, Maryland State Flagging Operations, electrical safety, etc.
- Valid State of Maryland Temporary Traffic Control Manager's certification or the ability to pass within one year from employment date.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls; hold the arm and hand in one position or hold the hand steady while moving the arm; make fast, repeated movements of fingers, hands, and wrists. The employee is frequently required to climb and/or balance self on ladders and scaffolding. Employee is frequently required to position self in order to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl in cramped areas. Employee must be able to speak clearly so others can understand. The employee must be able to hear the spoken language and noises within the environment around them. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/CONDITION: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; confined spaces, explosives, risk of radiation, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold, and extreme heat. May be exposed to potentially infectious.
Equal Opportunity Employer