Salary - $72,190.56 - $120,316.98 Annually
Location - FAIRFAX (EJ32), VA
Job Type - FT Salary W BN
Department - DPWES Capital Facilities
Job Number - 22-02165
Closing - 8/26/2022 11:59 PM Eastern
Pay Grade - S27
Posting Type - Open to General Public
To apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/fairfaxcounty/jobs/3651133/engineer-iii?keywords=engineer%20iii&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Works as part of the Utilities Design and Construction Division, Streetlights and Developer Default Branch, in Capital Facilities (CAP.) Reviews and supports streetlight plan review of development projects, transportation projects, public improvement projects and administration of streetlight processes. Provides technical review and administered all processes with electric utility companies to include cost estimates, installation, Review designs and prepares sketches to ensure the most cost-effective streetlight design layout is provided in accordance with the Public Facilities Manual (PFM), Board of Supervisor (BOS) approved criteria, and engineering standards and practices. Applies PFM regulations and best illumination engineering practices in accordance with the ANSI/IESNA, American National Standard Practice for Roadway Lighting / Illuminating Engineering Society of North America. Ensures that the electrical lighting designs prepared by the utility companies conforms to approved plans and sketches. Reviews utility streetlight cost estimates for approval Utilizes computer system software applications to update project processes to include streetlight design parameters, cost encumbrances and expenditures, final cost payments and to provide project status. Prepares correspondence and addresses citizen issues and concerns. Conducts field work as necessary in the daytime and night to evaluate existing lighting conditions, obtain lighting field data, to resolve utility conflicts, streetlight issues and/or pedestrian lighting issues. Utilizes and updates the County’s GIS Map inventory of streetlights and pedestrian lighting. Provides updates on status for Streetlight projects and Programs, in-house and to outside agency. Assists the Senior Engineer on other administration duties and performs other duties as assigned. Promotes safety, teamwork, and collaboration with internal as well as external project stakeholders. Candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Depending on the functional area of assignment:
- Knowledge of the principles, theory and practice of civil, architectural, and environmental engineering or urban planning;
- Knowledge of computer applications and software (such as CAD) that are associated with the preparation of plans and engineering computations;
- Knowledge of topographic and construction surveying;
- Knowledge of common methods and equipment used in engineering construction and of inspection methods used in reviewing such work;
- Knowledge of real property descriptions;
- Knowledge of environmental testing methods;
- Knowledge of Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the codes and ordinances which apply to building construction in Fairfax County;
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques relating to construction project management and contract administration;
- Ability to plan and coordinate the work of team(s) and/or subordinates;
- Ability to review construction documents, designs and proposals for costs, design
- requirements and compatibility with county standards, guides and operational needs;
- Ability to prepare reports, specifications, and contract documents;
- Ability to meet and interact with the public;
- Ability to prepare technical reports and to present findings in a clear and concise format;
- Ability to make accurate CAD drawings and GIS maps;
- Ability to perform accurate computations and prepare neat and accurate field notes;
- Ability to collect and compile research data;
- Ability to use a computer for word processing, preparation of spreadsheets, e-mail, and presentation materials.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus four years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a driver's license check to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- Bachelor's degree with major course work in civil engineering or relevant engineering field within the land development industry.
- Experience in the engineering design to provide lighting of roadways (streetlights), pedestrian walkways and/or outdoor lighting facilities.
- Three or more years of experience in managing multiple projects concurrently in the site development field, transportation engineering design, roadway design and construction field.
- Experience with preparation of civil engineering plans including site layout, utilities and grading
- Knowledge of Local and State design standards within the land development industry.
- Experience in the use of ArcGIS and AutoCAD.
- Ability to work proficiently with Microsoft Office applications
Must be able to physically negotiate rough terrain and typical construction site conditions to perform inspections at jobsites, vendor/fabrication facilities, or potential future jobsites. Able to safely climb ladders up to 20 feet per floor with the potential of multiple floors and able to go up and down stairs for multi-story buildings. Ability to participate in and understand verbal conversations at typical speaking volume and pace as well as respond to audio alarms and verbal warnings on construction sites, over the phone, and in the office workplace. Ability to read, understand, and produce written and typed documents. Ability to use computers/computer software for communication, report generation, electronic file-keeping, project metrics analysis, and project tracking purposes. Ability to lift 30 pounds overhead. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.