Oak Lodge Water Services District is looking for a motivated, detail-oriented person to join our water distribution team. This position is responsible for the daily operation and maintenance and repair of water delivery systems and related facilities.
About Oak Lodge Water Services District:
Oak Lodge Water Services provides clean water and sanitary services to residents of the unincorporated communities of Oak Grove and Jennings Lodge. Oak Lodge Water Services serves over 30,000 residents. Prior to January 2017, two separate water and sanitary districts serviced the area separately. Oak Lodge Water provided drinking water and Oak Lodge Sanitary provided sanitary sewer and watershed protection. In May 2016, voters in the district passed a measure to consolidate the two districts into a single district. Our newly combined district is focusing on delivering the best possible services to our customers efficiently and effectively.
The District’s key values are:
- Our customers
- Respecting the opinions and voices of coworkers, customers, the general public, and the Board
- Maintaining a positive and professional environment that expects honesty, integrity, quality customer service, and social responsibility
- Positive relationships, and always reaching for the best within ourselves
- Recruiting and maintaining highly motivated people to provide quality service to our customers
By practicing these values, we create an open forum to achieve excellence in communication and work processes which provide our customers with efficient wastewater, surface water and clean water services that protect public health and water quality. At Oak Lodge Water Services District, we strive to create a culture of teamwork and excellence in Public Service.
Essential Job Duties of the Position-Water Distribution:
- Repair of leaks and breaks in the water supply system.
- Read water meters, calculate usage accurately and write service orders for problems found.
- Maintain and repair of district water meters, services, fire hydrants, mains, and gate valves. Install new meters, services, fire hydrants, mains and gate valves.
- Maintain shop, yard and tank lots at an acceptable appearance level. Perform required equipment and vehicle maintenance.
- Locate water lines using locating equipment.
- Communicate with customers; investigate their problems and complaints, provide an effective solution or find someone who can.
- Maintain and keep daily records of work completed.
- Receive, track and stock inventory materials.
- Direct and controls traffic while working in the right of way.
Knowledge of standard practices, methods, tools, and materials used in water distribution systems and/or wastewater/storm water collection system operation and maintenance; knowledge of current OSHA regulations and safety practices/procedures; knowledge of computers and software used in a utility system maintenance environment; basic knowledge of computer systems like GIS, Word, Excel and Outlook; and knowledge of District goals and obligations. Skill to operate small hand tools, power tools and construction equipment or the ability to learn and perform these skills on the job. Skill to operate motor vehicles, including backhoe and dump truck or the ability to learn and perform these skills on the job. Ability to learn and apply water and wastewater construction standards. Ability to learn and apply all required safety standards. Ability to produce written reports. Ability for effective verbal communication with coworkers and customers and ability to professionally manage unhappy customers. Ability to work independently in a productive and professional manner. Ability to maneuver moderately heavy objects (equal to or less than 50 pounds). Ability to analyze intricate plumbing systems and recommend solutions. The ability to respond to a system emergency. Ability to occasionally be on-call to respond to system emergencies.
Experience and Training:
High school education or equivalent. Minimum of two years’ experience in utility work or a similar field. A valid Distribution Level 1 License or higher from the Oregon Public Health Authority or equivalent certification from another state is strongly preferred.
Special Qualifications Preferred: (Licensure or Certification)
- Possession of a Water Distribution License I-IV (or ability to obtain)
- Possession of a valid Oregon Commercial driver’s license with a trailer endorsement and/or tanker endorsement (or ability to obtain within 6 months).
- First Aid/CPR
In addition to the knowledge, experience, training and special qualifications listed above, the position requires:
- A high school diploma, GED or higher education
- A valid driver’s license
- Experience using Microsoft office and computer software
- Ability to pass a background check and pre-employment drug test as part of a conditional job offer
- Or an equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
This position requires moderate to heavy physical work which must be performed with or without accommodations including: Proper lifting of up to 50 pounds is an essential function of this position. Requires good hearing to communicate with other staff members, hear audible alarms and listen to equipment to detect possible problems. The incumbent must be able to perform a full range of body movements and have the manual dexterity to inspect, maintain and repair equipment including water mains, pipes and valves, water meters; and flushing of water hydrants; perform data entry work on a computer; drive District vehicles and perform other essential functions. May be required to work under difficult and strenuous conditions, including working outdoors in varying weather conditions
How to Apply:
Application materials must be completed by the closing date to be considered for this position. Any application that is missing a cover letter and resume will not be considered. No late, incomplete or faxed applications will be accepted. More specific instructions can be found on the District application including instructions for requesting veteran’s preference. Internal candidates are to contact the Human Resources department for District Application and further information. Email materials directly to Aleah at email@example.com. The required materials to be turned in for this recruitment are:
1. District Application (can be found at www.oaklodgewaterservices.org/jobs)
3. Cover Letter
Ranking and Selection
The ranking and selection of applicants to proceed in the process for this recruitment includes experience, education, or an explanation of transferable skills and experience and meeting the minimum qualifications of this position.