Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following: (Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus five years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license.
- Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA)
An individual who possesses a valid Professional Engineer or Architect license in another state will be granted a temporary exemption to this requirement pending the Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects decision regarding that individual's application for reciprocity. As a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect, signs and seals own work product and/or that of subordinate staff.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, driving record check, and a pre-employment physical examination to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- Five years or more of supervisory experience. Demonstrated ability to provide effective leadership with staff and work collaboratively with stakeholders, strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills, outstanding communication skills, and experience managing a diverse professional staff.
- At least 3 years of progressively professional experience in Illumination Engineering and Streetlight design.
- At least 3 years of professional engineer experience with local, federal, and state site development codes especially for utilities and site development codes.
- At least 3 years of experience in Engineering design to provide lighting for roadways and/or lighting of parking facilities.
- Experience in the use of computer applications and software associated with photometric computations.
- Experience in the use of ArcGIS applications to edit and manage data.
Must be able to physically negotiate rough terrain and typical construction sites to perform field inspections at project construction sites or potential sites for future facilities. Ability to hear and properly respond to typical construction alarms and verbal warnings on active construction sites. Ability to produce organized and legible handwritten, typed/computer generated documents including the use of graphics. Ability to lift 40 pounds with assistance. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.