American Water is purpose-driven, people-powered, customer-obsessed and the trusted source of everything water. If you’re interested in having the freedom to innovate and do amazing things, with the purpose of making the world a better place, then join our team.
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
American Water currently has multiple Senior Planning Engineer positions open in its corporate office. These positions are part of the corporate engineering planning department, and are responsible for strategic long-term water and wastewater facility planning, resource development, and support for our asset management programs. Tasks include: evaluating the criticality, condition, performance, and capacity of water and wastewater system assets; conducting or reviewing water system capacity, resiliency levels, and service level; developing the scope and priority of capital improvement projects or approaches to address complex issues related to water supply, treatment, storage, pumping and transmission, and/or wastewater collection, pumping, and treatment; evaluating risk and developing priorities for our asset renewal program. A Senior Planning Engineer has technical and project management supervision responsibilities over supporting staff and consulting engineers.
Senior Planning Engineers are also called upon to be subject matter experts in specific specialty disciplines. At this time, we are looking for Senior Planning Engineers with demonstrated expertise in the areas of:
- Water and energy efficiency and sustainability
- Water treatment and chemistry
These positions report to either an engineering director or manager in our corporate engineering department.
- Coordination, project management, and preparation of strategic water system master planning studies (comprehensive or targeted, issue based studies as appropriate) as assigned. (40%)
- Preparation and maintenance of asset investment plans, energy and water efficiency studies, strategic capital expenditure plans, and asset management plans as assigned. Plans to accurately address operational needs, operational efficiencies, asset management and strategic investment goals set by the Corporation based upon prioritization models. (20%)
- System capacity evaluations, analysis of source, treatment, pumping, distribution, storage, or other system deficiencies as assigned to support ongoing operations, service extension requests or regional growth opportunities. (10%)
- Ability to serve as a competent technical resource on Water and Wastewater System Planning matters, including (depending on specific expertise): identifying scope of needed capital improvement projects, performing safe yield analysis, developing water use projections, assessing adequacy of water and wastewater treatment and distribution / collection assets,, performing computerized hydraulic modeling and analysis, assessing water and energy efficiency, water conservation, regionalization, and/or other pertinent subjects as needed to support operational and business needs. (10%)
- Present results of engineering analysis to interested parties within and outside of the company, including expert testimony, presentations to Regulatory agencies and Senior Company Management. (10%)
- Pursues educational opportunities and professional development to enhance performance and contributions to the organization. (5%)
- Contribute to effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business. (5%)
Knowledge / Skills
- Demonstrated competency in asset planning, water system master planning, water or energy efficiency studies, distribution system hydraulic modeling or equivalent water system design experience.
- Broad knowledge of Engineering (planning, design, construction) related to water or wastewater.
- Working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality, treatment and Engineering economics.
- Applicable knowledge of water resources industry, business and environmental regulatory field.
- Leadership ability and interpersonal skills, as well as, strong verbal and written communication skills and keen listening abilities.
- Detail oriented to conduct through analysis and evaluations, render and implement timely decisions and recommendations.
- Champions safety
- Cultivates innovation
- Customer obsessed
- Drives Results
- Nimble learning
Experience / Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Advanced Management or Technical Degree with focus on water is preferred.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license required.
- Envision Sustainability Professional Certification (ENV SP) is a plus.
- Minimum 10 years experience in water resources planning, water treatment, or water resources sustainability and energy efficiency.
Up to 20%.
80 % Primarily in the office with occasional work in the field at treatment facilities to conduct site investigations, review construction, and support facility start-up/commissioning.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal,