The City of Wilmington has an exciting opportunity for a motivated and experienced professional to manage a variety of capital improvement projects. As a member of the Engineering Department team, you will provide professional-level support and technical evaluations on capital improvement projects by overseeing, coordinating and performing planning, technical analysis and design, permitting, public relations, and construction management of capital improvement projects. Typical projects include roadway improvements, streetscapes, Riverwalk improvements and expansions, multi-use trails, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, drainage improvements and buildings.
The Engineering Department includes 34 staff members who provide design, project management, plan review, survey, construction inspection, right-of-way acquisition, and permitting services. Engineering is involved in many of the City's public infrastructure improvements, plus private development and public right-of-way issues. The mission of the department is to promote public safety, sustainability, and a livable community. Please visit the Engineering Department webpage to learn more!
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The hiring range for this position is $61,932 - $77,428 annually and is dependent on the selected candidates' qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package includes participation in the Local Government Employees Retirement System and an automatic 4.5% contribution to a deferred compensation plan.
Manage the administration, design and construction of capital projects and provide technical support to the Engineering Department by:
- Providing engineering, technical and administrative guidance for various types of capital improvement projects;
- Negotiating and administering contracts for design and construction services;
- Providing fiscal management of capital improvement projects to include preparation of opinions of probable cost, development of alternatives for value engineering; monitoring budgets, negotiation of contract amendments and change orders, and invoicing; Overseeing and managing consultants and contractors regarding performance, contract duties, project status, and scheduling;
- Incorporating design or construction changes into the work product to address unforeseen conditions;
- Coordinating with internal and external stakeholders throughout the planning, design, and construction of capital improvement projects for administrative and technical input and feedback;
- Coordinate property acquisitions with the City's Property Acquisitions Specialist; Managing public relations and resolving citizen concerns;
- Chairing public information meetings, design coordination meetings, pre-bid meetings, pre- construction meetings, and progress meetings;
- Representing the City of Wilmington in meetings with regulatory agencies;
- Authoring technical specifications and developing or improving construction details; Assisting in updates to the Technical Standards and Specifications Manual;
- Participation on an as-needed basis in the City's Technical Review Committee for review of private development plans;
- Preparing and presenting City Council agenda items;
- Participating on various internal and external committees; Pursuing continuous professional development.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
Experience: Three years of construction management and/or project management experience.
Other Requirements: Valid Driver's License
Notes: Driving and criminal history check required for the selected candidate. The selected candidate will also be required to complete a post-offer drug screen.
Certification as an Engineering Intern (EI) or Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of North Carolina preferred.
Municipal experience in construction management and implementation.
Experience in the management of federal funded and NCDOTprojects preferred.