General Summary & Essential Responsibilities
Performs highly responsible professional, supervisory and technical work managing, planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating the repair and maintenance of the following: road and drainage infrastructure, traffic signs and marking, street lighting, Municipal Services Benefits/Taxing Units functions, construction contract outsourcing, landscaping/beautification, and other public works projects as assigned.
- Manages, directs and coordinates assigned staff for Maintenance & Operations Division: responsible for the selection, placement, promotion, training, safety, appraisal, and discipline of assigned employees: and oversees staff development programs.
- Manages engaged maintenance, operation, or installation of signs, markings and marine markers. Also oversees the effort in providing crash analysis, traffic volume audits, signal warrant studies and speed studies working closely with the County Engineer and the Transportation Engineer.
- Manages the Lighting District staff in maintenance, operation, or installation of traffic signals and street lighting.
- Develops, implements, and monitors work plan for assigned areas: organizes, prioritizes and schedules work activities; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work; and consults with assigned staff to assist with complex/problem situations and provide technical expertise.
- Develops, implements, and monitors policies and procedures for assigned areas: formulates and develops work methods and practices, policies, services standards, and standard operating procedures; monitors implementation of work processes, services standards, and policies and; and ensures compliance with safety standards, budgetary limitations, and crew productivity and quality.
- Prepares or directs and reviews the preparation and modification of reports, plans, specifications, and schedules: and provides technical assistance to other Public Works departments.
- Ensures that subordinates have the proper resources needed to complete assigned work: reviews and approves specifications for equipment, materials, and services: and oversees the acquisition and proper and safe usage of materials and equipment.
- Provides progress and activity reports to supervisor, County administrators, elected officials, and the public: makes presentations; and provides information on projects and activities in assigned areas.
- Receives and responds to citizen and staff requests for information regarding projects, complaints, and lawsuits.
- Performs basic administrative duties including written reports, memorandums, letters, and electronic correspondence, interaction with others, and communication through telephone and meetings.
- Provide exceptional customer assistance, problem-solving, and/or complaints by all forms of communication.
Min. Education, Licenses and Certifications
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in managing, planning, and/or coordinating Public Works maintenance programs
- Or an equivalent combination of relevant training, education, and experience.
Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of administrative practices, principles and procedures related to engineering, construction and emergency management response and recovery associated with Public Works.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and techniques associated with Public Works projects.
- Working knowledge of civil engineering practices as they pertain to road construction and maintenance.