Public Works Inspectors are responsible for on-site inspection to enforce the contract plans and specifications for public works construction projects. Types of inspection work include water and sewer pipelines, underground utility installations, water or sewer connections, water or wastewater treatment plants and pump station construction, trench and street paving, concrete curbs and driveways, sidewalk and ADA ramps, traffic/pedestrian signals and striping, reservoirs and water quality features. Work is performed within a project team.
Must be willing to work long hours in a noisy construction environment under potentially hazardous conditions and possess sufficient physical mobility, vision, hearing and speaking abilities related to the construction work requirements. The current vacancies are in the Bureau of Environmental Services-Construction Services, and Limited Term positions within the Portland Bureau of Transportation-Permit Construction. The eligible list for this recruitment will be used to fill future vacancies in the Bureau of Environmental Services, Portland Bureau of Transportation and the Portland Water Bureau.
This position is represented by District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU) collective bargaining agreement, view the agreement at https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840.
External applicants start at the entry salary rate.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge & experience with the characteristics and capabilities of construction equipment and practices.
- Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a diversity of others, interacting effectively, problem solving and partnering with citizens, community groups, designers, project/contract managers, and/or contractors.
- Experience understanding and retaining oral and written construction related information such as progress, dimensions, quantities, and instructions.
- Experience reading and comprehending technical documents such as survey notes, standard drawings, construction plans, specifications, codes, laws, contracts, procedure manuals, and inspection reports.
- Knowledge and experience applying safety practices to be followed during construction.
- Experience using math calculations associated with the computation or estimation of construction progress such as area, volume, and percentages
Applicants must also possess:
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce is culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.