Salary: 61,417.00 - $95,281.00 Annually
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Manages and supervises the delivery of sanitary sewer services, including the operation and maintenance of the New Castle County sanitary sewer system, and coordinates the delivery of storm drainage services; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class applies technical and managerial knowledge and skills to the operation, maintenance, and rehabilitation of sanitary sewer facilities and the delivery of sanitary sewer and storm drainage services. Responsibilities include the direction and coordination of subordinate technical, supervisory, and support staff. This employee also performs administrative tasks in line with these responsibilities. Assignments are broad in scope and considerable independent judgment is required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
• Manages, assigns, schedules, and directs the activities of subordinates, technicians, survey personnel, inspectors, and support staff;
• Manages, plans, develops, and oversees the operations and maintenance of the New Castle County sanitary sewer system;
• Investigates and resolves complaints and service requests related to sanitary sewer services and storm drainage programs or projects;
• Prepares and administers the operating budget;
• Prepares capital budget and project cost estimates;
• Prepares specifications for materials, supplies, equipment, and contracted services;
• Reviews plans and specifications prepared by consultants;
• Authorizes work to be performed by New Castle County personnel and contract vendors, inspects work, and accepts work for final acceptance and payment;
• Coordinates sanitary sewer and storm drainage activities with the State of Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control and the Department of Transportation;
• Responds to emergency calls involving the sanitary sewer system, including nights, weekends, and holidays;
• Attends, speaks at, and/or conducts various sanitary sewer and/or storm drainage service-related public meetings as the official representative of New Castle County;
• Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
• Operates a data processing terminal, personal computer, and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of operating, maintaining, and rehabilitating sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems; skill in the use of a personal computer including database, spreadsheet, and word processing software; ability to plan, layout, and direct work of subordinates; ability to plan projects and work schedules and prepare related estimates and specifications; ability to make comprehensive recommendations on complex situations; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing; ability to make effective presentations before groups; ability to pass a Class III County physical examination.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: At least five years professional experience specializing in the operation, maintenance, and rehabilitation of sanitary sewer, storm drainage, or public water supply systems and possession of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in engineering or environmental science; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid Delaware Class D driver's license or its equivalent.