As the City of Winter Garden continues to grow and thrive, we are seeking experienced Distribution Field Technicians or TRAINEES who are experienced laborers. The City offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance (the City pays 100% of your Medical insurance premiums and also contributes toward your dependent’s Medical coverage), a Pension Plan, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Time Off, supplied uniforms, and much more!
- Drives a service truck within the City limits to perform physically demanding skilled labor, including installing, relocating, replacing, repairing and maintaining service connections, gate valves and other related fittings associated with water systems.
- Performs a variety of repair, maintenance, installation, and construction tasks involving water meters, meters boxes, service lines, associated fittings, and street maintenance activities.
- Locates water mains and valves. Performs required inspections, maintenance and repairs of meters and other related fittings. Reports malfunctions, stuck meters, broken dials, leaks, and other defects to supervisor immediately.
- May be assigned to read, accurately record, and maintain records for water meter reading on assigned routes. Reports meters not accessible for reading. Determines consistency of meter readings and reports unusual conditions to the supervisor. Handles work orders including turning customer water service on/off.
- Obtains consumption history from the City’s computer system for use with meter re-reads. Orders meters and associated materials, as well as maintenance supplies.
- May be assigned street maintenance activities such as installing road signs; pothole patching; sidewalk, curb and gutter repairs; and painting of traffic markings.
- Work includes frequent public contact; employee sometimes serves as a public relations representative, requiring patience and good judgment.
- Must be available, willing and able to answer emergency or service calls after normal working hours. Must have physical strength and agility sufficient to perform assigned tasks under varying weather conditions, including rain, wind and summer heat.
- High school diploma or GED. Prior labor-intensive work experience or work experience involving customer or public contact desirable.
- Possess/maintain a valid Florida CDL Class B Driver’s License OR the ability to obtain a Florida CDL Class B or higher permit within 6 months of hire and license within 12 months of hire, including air brake and tanker endorsements, as a condition of employment.
- Good driving record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions, learn City streets/roads and meter locations in service area, complete reports/work orders with good penmanship, ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public (i.e., calm displeased customers, resolve complaints, etc.), and establish/maintain effective work relationships.
Intermittent performance of physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling or crouching, and may involve the lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20–50 pounds). Requires intermittent lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of heavier objects (75+ pounds).Also requires walking long distances and frequent standing, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, digging, reaching, crawling, kneeling and lifting.
- Tasks are performed in outdoor environment under all weather conditions with risk of exposure to vehicular traffic, noise and exhaust fumes and working around open trenches and construction areas that involve the use of safety equipment such as reflective vests, hard hats, and safety shoes. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and may sometimes be loud.
- Must follow all safety requirements carefully.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with EEO guidelines and the ADA, the City provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.