Under general direction, performs complex supervisory and administrative work in planning, organizing, scheduling and managing public works activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Incumbents in this position typically perform but are not limited to the duties noted below on a regular basis:
- Establishes policies and procedures to improve effectiveness of day-to-day operations;
- Assists with the selection, training, evaluation and disciplining of employees;
- Assists with preparation and administration of operating and capital improvement program budgets;
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, supervises and evaluates programs, services, staffing, equipment and infrastructure of the Public Works Department;
- Assists with the development or update of the water, sewer and storm drain master plans, the capital improvement program and other municipal infrastructure programs;
- Assists with the preparation of equipment specifications for bidding processes;
- Assists with project management for the construction of municipal public works projects;
- Evaluates issues and options regarding municipal public works and makes recommendations to the Public Works Director;
- Maintains regular contact with consulting engineers, construction project engineers, City, County, State and Federal agencies, professional and technical groups and the general public regarding department activities and services;
- Oversees employee safety and training programs.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Completion of an associate degree in civil engineering, construction management, public administration or a closely related field, and minimum of five (5) years previous public works experience including at least two (2) years of utilities management preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. Considerable knowledge of management principles, practices and methods that are employed by municipal public works agencies, City policies, laws and regulations. Exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with employees, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, City officials and the general public; supervise and evaluate employees; conduct research and compile comprehensive reports.
*The salary for this position is recommended by staff - actual salary to be approved by City Council in September.