Hagerstown is a historic, progressive, strategically located city that is a hub of culture, education, transit and commerce for the region. Located 70 miles from both Baltimore and Washington, D.C., in the beautiful Cumberland Valley, Hagerstown provides the best of small city living. Hagerstown is the county seat for Washington County and anchors the Hagerstown-Martinsburg MD-WV metropolitan area with greater Hagerstown the fastest-growing metropolitan area in the state of Maryland and among the fastest-growing in the United States. A diverse city, Hagerstown is rich in cultural amenities including a historic minor league municipal baseball stadium, stately Churches constructed from native materials, a vibrant theater and fine arts community, beautiful parks, and numerous educational opportunities. Hagerstown has an annual budget of $121 million with a General Fund Operating Budget of $40 million and 472 employees.
The Water and Wastewater Engineer reports to the Director of Utilities and manages the Water and Wastewater Engineering Division. The position provides management and engineering support to the Division that consists of approximately 7 staff members. The Water and Wastewater Engineer is responsible for review, design and approval of projects which impact the wastewater collection and water distribution systems, water and wastewater treatment plants, water and wastewater facilities maintenance and environmental compliance laboratory programs.
- B.S. degree from an accredited college in Civil, Chemical, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering or related field.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Five (5) years of progressive experience in engineering design, construction and/or management of public water and wastewater systems.
- One (1) year of supervisory related experience.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of water and wastewater engineering.
- Project management experience as it applies to the planning, design and construction of major water and wastewater facilities.
- Experience in the operations, maintenance and financial principles of public water and wastewater systems is desirable.
Required Licenses and Certifications
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the State of Maryland is required within one year from the date of hire.
- Valid vehicle operator’s license and satisfactory driving record.
Examples of job duties include:
- Provides management, supervision and leadership to the Water and Wastewater Engineering Division
- Responsible for designing and preparing drawings and specifications for the water and wastewater system improvements and the review and approval of water and wastewater infrastructure design drawings from property owners/developers.
- Responsible for the review and administration of water and wastewater service applications as well as review and approval of City permit applications that may impact the water and wastewater facilities.
- Responsible for construction field inspection for distribution and collection systems and works with the developer/contractors to ensure infrastructure meets Department standards and specifications.
- Responsible for and provides direction to the GIS/CAD employees to maintain and update infrastructure mapping.
- Assists the Operation Managers with the preparation of request for proposal (RFP) for contracted design and construction services.
- Works with Department Managers and the Director to develop long range plans for water and wastewater system improvements and expansion.
- Conducts studies and evaluations of system infrastructure for capacity management, constructability, etc. Maintains records of all projects and the related statistical and analytical data.
- Develop and maintain effective professional relationships with consultant engineers, contractors, project owners and the public. Confers with City, State and Federal officials regarding matters of engineering, planning, and regulations of the system.
The anticipated salary range for this position is $92,248 - $106,704 DOQ, based on the successful candidate's experience and qualifications. Defined benefit plan through Maryland State Retirement Pension System.
How to Apply
Position is open until filled. Resume review will begin November 23, 2023. Please submit resume, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Sarah Schillerstrom, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, Tel: 847-380-3240 x138.
The City of Hagerstown is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants requiring special assistance should call 301-739-8577, Ext 828.