The City of Lenexa, Kansas, a leader in the delivery of exceptional public service, is a growing, dynamic and progressive city due in large measure to its commitment to quality growth as a “planned community” in partnership with its citizens. We have an exciting opportunity for a Traffic Signal Technician I. The City of Lenexa employees are dedicated to providing exceptional public service to the community. We value integrity, service, teamwork, dedication, vision and employees who care.
This position is responsible for performing skilled technical maintenance and unskilled labor on the city's traffic signal and street lighting system. While work is performed independently relying on individual judgment and action the position must work as part of the Municipal Services team.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Performs supervised preventive maintenance, follows scheduled maintenance activities, responds to emergency maintenance situations, follows directives and work orders from supervisors.
- Assists with signal timing adjustments, and installation of controllers and traffic signal equipment. Responsible to know and understand how to program, properly wire and maintain traffic signal equipment.
- Assembles, repairs, and installs streetlight poles, luminaries, and cabinets.
- Installation and maintenance of fiber optic systems and communication systems (including wireless and closed loop components) under supervision.
- Assists with the installation, maintenance, and repair of traffic signs and pavement markings as needed.
- Works overtime and call backs related to traffic signal, street light, snow and other emergencies including weekends and holidays. Assists with special events.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience or Special Requirements
High school diploma or G.E.D. and one year of traffic systems experience; OR completion of Associate of Science degree (or equivalent) in electronics. Experience with microprocessor and electronic traffic signal system controller equipment is preferred. Technical electronics training may substitute for experience on a year for year basis.
- Possess a valid Class B commercial driver's license (CDL) with required endorsements or ability to obtain within six months.
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record
- Must be able to distinguish between colors
- Level I IMSA certification for traffic signals or ability to obtain within one year of employment.
- Level I IMSA certification for street lighting or ability to obtain within one year of employment.
- Worksite Safety certification from ATSSA or ability to obtain within one year of employment.
- Required to carry pager/phone.
Compensation and Benefits Hiring range is $16.85 to $20.60 per hour dependent on experience and qualifications. This is a full-time, hourly position. The City offers a highly competitive compensation package including health, dental, life, short-term disability; state defined benefit pension plan, city matching defined contribution retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, an on-site health clinic and much more. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of pre-employment physical, drug screen and background investigation.
To Apply: The City of Lenexa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications are only accepted online and must include a resume. The resume must include employment history during the past ten years. For best consideration and complete job details apply immediately by following this link Traffic Signal Technician .